Skip to main content

. . . from the handiwork journal

Thanks to the rain, dreary skies, and much cooler weather here, I have managed to get some handiwork done.  In fact, last night we got down to 47°F, after a full day of thunderstorms and downpours.  Crazy cold nights for May, but not unheard of.

The sun is shining today, but it will take a few days for the gardens to dry out.  In fact, a portion of one of our vegetable gardens actually flooded.  We have taken note, and plan to fill it in more with soil (but that will have to wait, as the price to have a truck load delivered has more than doubled).




. . . crocheted 3 baby washcloths.  I need to sew in the ends and block them.


. . .crocheted a bookmark.  I have blocked it, but I am wondering if I should starch it or dip it in 50/50 Elmer's glue and water?  I have made many bookmarks in the past, but I have never once stiffened them.  I feel this one needs it.  I just think if it was completely stiff it would be an odd bookmark.  



I only made it for gifting, and the pattern was in the 3rd crochet mystery book by Betty Hechtman - "By Hook or by Crook"



. . .started a new lap afghan for an extended family member.  

  By the way, all of the yarn was in my stash, so I did not have to go purchase them, but I sure hope I have enough to finish this one.  I don't have a label for one of the skeins, but I am pretty sure I know what brand it is. Anyway, this one is looking good with just what colors I had on hand from other projects.



I have already been using an ergonomic "I" hook, but I now realize that it says 5.25mm, and my old Boye crochet hook, says 5.5mm (hard to see in the photo).  I looked up the "I" hooks online, and some are now made 5.25mm.  

I wish I had used the slightly larger "I" hook, but will make notes on my pattern.  Are they changing all measurments on crochet hooks now?  I think I ran into this issue before.  The blanket will end up 2 inches shorter in width with this ergonmonic hook vs. the orginal "I" hook.  I hope that is large enough for a lap afghan or wheel chair blanket.  Not sure on the length until I finish it.

I have another perdiciment.  

I have put together another color combination, using yarn I already have, for the next lap afghan.  However, I don't have enough of this yarn.  Apparantly, sometime in the last 16 years I bought this Bernat Super value yarn in Pale Antique Rose, for only $1.59 on clearance.  They do not make this color anymore, and nor do I want to buy more right now.  

I will have to spin my color wheel and see if I can whip up another color to go with it (along with 3 other colors I have picked out).

. . . from the handiwork journal  © May 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart



Comments

Betsy said…
I like all of your makes. I often use spray starch when finishing a doily or bookmarks. It stiffens them just a bit but still keeps them flexible. I'm making a wheelchair blanket in very similar colors as you're using. With the yarn you don't have much of, you could ask online if anyone any they wouldn't mind parting with. That's done often on Ravelry, for example.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
I have never learnt to knit or crochet, just not something I could get the hang of.
Looks like some nice projects to keep you busy! :)
Thanks Betsy, I will look into that. I actually also looked for spray starch at one store the other day, and could not find it. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.
Jo-Anne's Ramblings, I'm still learning with knitting. To me it's more difficult.
Far Side of Fifty, thanks. It does keep me busy.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart