Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, November 12, 2023

Grocery/Toiletries Prices Soaring

 We are contemplating membership with Costco.  Sam's Club is just too far of a drive, and Costco is as well, but a shorter drive.

Prices are just so high, it is ridiculous.  I have to literally go online, and price compare, and then write out 2-3 different store lists.  It's time consuming, but I have started to price compare online before going to the stores.  Big Lots is great for some items, but not for others.  The same goes for Aldi, Wal-mart, Meijer etc.  


The bottle takes two hands to pour, but still the least expensive we've found.

I can tell you, that I found white vinegar by the gallon to be the least expensive at Menard's.  We were heading that way anyway, and had rebates to use.  $2.66/gallon with rebate.  I also found their cotton balls, toilet paper, and paper towels to be less than the grocery or Wal-mart.  My research paid off, as I also found the next least expensive place for white vinegar - Big Lots.  I use this mostly for cleaning.  I buy organic during canning season.

I spent time to load digital coupons for the grocery store, and other stores.  It's crazy about what we have to do to shop for necessities anymore.

We re-stock our organic oats, when we visit Amish country, as we cannot buy any in our area (which is crazy as well).  Do you have a back-up if flour was not available?  

Trash bags are so high in price right now, so I did more research on that.  

I also have to place an order online every now and then, for items they do not sell in the store (healthy items of course). Our major grocery store, has a "sister" store online, and they recently had a 20% off all food items thankfully.

I bulk buy some of my items to save money, what is one way you save money?


Grocery/Toiletries Prices Soaring © Nov 2023 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

7 comments:

Faith said...

My attention span just can't handle all that comparing. I could not get into the coupon back in the day, and not not either. I don't have the energy or the patience, I don't enjoy going to the store like I used to. I get what I need and get out. Where I save I think is in the meats. Take advantage of the BOGO, and get alot of meals out of those. I take the time to cut it up and package it up for specific meals in mind. Stretches he grocery money. Have a Happy Thanksgiving Kristina, enjoy your blessings.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith, thanks for that tip. I don't read the weekly sale flyer, and I should I guess. We did buy a large amount of boneless chicken and ground beef from a local butcher.

Katie C. said...

I saved the smaller vinegar bottle to pour from the gallon bottle. Use a funnel.

We have both BJs and Costco memberships. Costco has lower prices for some things but we use BJs with their credit card for gas. It makes a huge difference in price especially for the car that needs the premium gas.

This year I started shopping at Lidl for vegetables. They are significantly less expensive, maybe 30 percent, but their selection is not as good as some other grocery stores. We eat a lot of veggies so it does help. A lot of people also swear by Aldi. I’m fortunate because there are quite a few different grocery stores less than ten miles from the house. Eating what’s in season is also helpful price wise. I’ve also got my tomato products that I canned plus other home canned items. Drying my own herbs saves me money too.

I make the whole thing into a game, the save money game! Don’t forget digital coupons too. I’m the coupon queen 😁

Good luck, Katie C.

Hummingbird said...

If your local Costco has a gas station, that alone is worth the membership. Here in the PNW, we save about 50 cents a gallon compared to regular gas stations. Hubby is a contractor so we go through a lot of gas in his big vehicles. We combine with a Costco credit card where we get cash back on gas purchases.

Tracy dixon said...

I am so glad I found your blog again. I followed for a long time then blogger had to go and change things by getting rid of Feed Burner. I lost alot of peoples blogs that I followed. I finally found a solution to replacing Feed Burner. It's called Follow It. Sandra uses it on her blog as well I think so I checked it out. I finally figured out how to put it on my blog. It works because I tried it on myself. lol.
I have been so out of the loop on your blog. I'm trying to catch up. I have been busy starting a YouTube channel and love it. I still have my two blogs. We had a busy summer with the garden and preserving. It is so good to read your blog again. My YouTube channel is Keeper of the Home At 4D Farms. I will bookmark your blog this time so I don't loose it again until you get your email situation figured out.
Have a great day.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Katie, I do use digital coupons a lot here. We are very limited to the selection of shopping. Costco is about a 30 minute drive or more for us. Nothing is close.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Hummingbird, That is good to know, but we would only be getting gas there if we go there. It is in no way close enough to go for just gas, but that is great to know.