Skip to main content

Keeping Produce Fresh ~ Cucumber Tip

 

It was suggested that I buy these larger Fresh Longer containers for keeping summer cucumbers fresh "longer."

The tip:  I was told, when I bring in a lot of cucumbers, but cannot can them the same day, to immerse them in cold water first, then put in these containers.  I'm always taking notes for the next year, so if you immerse in cold water, is there a reason for that?

Well, out of the blue I spotted these three at a local grocery store about a month ago.  On clearance!  I paid $6.49 for the large one and $2.50 each for the smaller ones.


Our bell peppers were huge in harvest this year, so I put some in the large container, and I can tell you they stay fresh!  I had the ones on the right in that container for over a week, and the ones on the left in the bowl only were going soft in one day.

I will be buying one more larger container for summer harvest.

Comments

Leigh said…
Wow, I've never heard of these. Thanks for the tip! With a garden, anything that can lengthen freshness is a great help! I'll be on the look-out to buy some.
Leigh, our larger "market" grocery stores put them on clearance, and now our smaller grocery stores are clearancing any kitchen ware. Check there or other stores for "Freshworks by Rubbermaid"

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart