Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Freezing Shredded Zucchini and Tidbits


This is an old blog draft I had before all things in life went BAM!   Funeral is over, but we are all hurting.  Again, thank you for your prayers and good thoughts.

It is taking all I have to get up and go this morning.  I am slammed with tomatoes, and I should have been up at 4:30am today.  I am so far behind, but I am up, as my husband had to work today as well.  Oh, I am slammed with green bell peppers as well.  I'm still dealing zucchini, and did not have a chance to check on the plants, as we had a day of visitation, and a full day with funeral services.  I thought I just heard the radio mention thunderstorms today, so after I get tomatoes prepped, I may run out and do a very quick look-see.

I have to get my morning work out in first, then there is the unloading of the dishwasher, and then moving produce around to make room for a full day of canning.  It's very hot here as well, so that is a double whammy in my kitchen this week.



A beautiful morning sunrise we had a few weeks ago.  Just another sign that summer is coming to an end, as that moves directions.





I learned something new from one of my favorite chefs (Mary Ann Esposito) - when freezing shredded zucchini, place it in waxed paper, twist the ends, and then put it in a plastic freezer bag to freeze.  It will be so much easier to get out of the bag when you thaw it.   I wanted to use freezer paper, but could not find mine, and I was out of pint bags.  I had just been to the store, so I was not going back.  We live in the boonies.

Speaking of TV, my husband worked late one day, so I watched the movie on Netflix, "Poisoned."  There wasn't much in the movie that I didn't know, but when they were asked one thing they would never buy from the grocery store, it was bagged greens/lettuces.  It was suggested to buy the head of lettuce and wash it yourself.  Hence, that wake up call, we will be making sure we have a raised bed for all of our spring greens next year.



I have a cheap spiralizer, so I made yellow squash casserole with it (another new recipe).

I made Julia Child's Shredded Sautéed Zucchini with garlic.  We really liked it too.





1 comment:

R's Rue said...

Praying my friend.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com