Skip to main content

Winter Storm ~ Blizzard Conditions

 

My afternoon delight most days now - homemade hot chocolate and mini marshmallows we picked up in Amish country.

You may see blips in posts now.  Meaning, more chances of power outages, loss of internet (like this morning), etc.

This morning there was a car accident nearby, which took out power, and I am sure I heard life flight fly over.  Praying for all involved.

No, the heaters are not on yet. and the temps will drop to 0°F tonight (so frustrated with getting this done).  Experts have been called in at this point.  Delivery on our flooring transition piece is a month from now.  We will fire up the woodstove, but I sure hope we saved our fireproof rug from the pellet stove.  I went to the farm store to buy a new one, and they told me they never got any shipped in this year.

I made an attempt to have the sofa moved back to the living room, but we could not get anyone in the family to help move them.  We literally have about an hour of daylight after my husband gets home from work. 

The winter storm is moving in now.  Rain turns to snow, then icy roads and blizzard conditions.  I believe we will be snowed in for a few days.  Stay safe my friends.

Comments

Jackie See said…
Stay warm! I wish you had this project done in time to stay warm and cozy and relax during this weather. Stay focused, and stay cozy with that cup of delicious cocoa. I am sitting here looking out my window at wind and snow so tiny we can barely see it. Our pond is not frozen at all because of this wind. Temperature now is 8 degree F and we have a few wild geese swimming around. Today will be a ham and bean day with fried potatoes and skillet corn bread. I may even make a couple of pies just to have the oven on. It is so dark outside that the Christmas lights inside are glowing. I think of our ancestors living in log cabins sitting around the fireplace telling stories. I hope everyone is warm and safe. ~jackiesee~

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart