Skip to main content

Preserving Eggs ~ Ramblings

 Let's talk about preserving eggs.  I know how to do water-glassing, but have never dehydrated.  I found a great article online by Backwoods Home Magazine.  What is your preference for preserving eggs?

Suggestions on using dehydrated eggs?  I'm plan to look thru my books to see what I have on this, but asking here too.

A few more dollar tree finds from earlier this week - dressing to-go bottles, and a vegetable scrubber for the camper.

The dressing bottles will be great for my husband's work lunch, but I bought two of them for picnic packing too.  It doesn't look like we'll likely take any long vacations this year due to gas prices, and prices of everything else.

I have 1 more quart to freeze, but I got the strawberries taken care of.  Jam is done as well, so I don't have to use freezer space and do it in winter.



I made us some homemade teriyaki sauce for chicken teriyaki.  It will last a few days (the dinner), so I won't have to cook thankfully.

My husband and I talked last night about raising a pig and cows.  Goats are not in the picture yet, but I am prepared (since we raised dairy goats before).  



Comments

chipmunk said…
I like to dehydrate eggs for use in baking (mostly bread). I'm heartily glad that I did some recently before prices doubled here in the last month!
chipmunk, that is good to know. I guess I better get that done while I am getting a good amount of eggs.
Veronica said…
You should check out the 5 Acres and a Dream blog, she has an entire entry where she tests the different ways to dry eggs. Just in general, she has a lot of good information.
Veronica, I do follow her blog, and thank you. I will check her blog for her post on that.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart