Skip to main content

Rain and gloomy days. . .

 

I'm starting to panic about the garden getting planted.  We should have tilled last Sunday.  It's been nothing but rain, rain, and more rain.  Rain today and tomorrow as well.  I'm not sure any tilling will get done Sunday, and that was the plan.  We will not be planting peas either (sad face here).  It's too late.  They would be coming up by now.



I spent most of my day cooking for my husband's birthday, so I start today with a sink full of dirty dishes, but worth it. He was so happy to come home, after a 12 hour day, and get homemade Einkorn peanut butter cookies, and homemade sloppy joes and sweet potato fries.

I picked a few more asparagus, so that is on the menu soon.  I feel like we are not getting as much this year for some reason.

I am relieved however, to find out that work is buying my husband's crew brunch on Saturday.  I thought I would be cooking all day today, but thankfully not.  I will be painting again.

When I was mixing the peanut butter cookies in my mixer, I realized it is on the edge of it's life time.  I mentioned it to my husband several times, but now it's really not working well.  I think I've had it for 20 years though.

I wish I would have known, or have thought to look for this when I first started painting.  Our kitchen is paneling on most walls, and trim work is a pain in the rump.  Man this tight space gadget saved my headache.  Works like a charm, and the tape works better for the uneven areas.  I had asked my husband to just take the trim off the walls, and ceiling for me, but this saved him from having to do that too.

The futon is still in my living room.  I tried to give it away for free last weekend, and he was a no-show (family member).  I put it up for free again, and last night they were unable to pick it up due to rain. They said today, but guess what folks?  Rain, and rain tomorrow.  It's not likely it's leaving, but I plan to get it out by Sunday, even if I have to do it on Mother's Day.  It will be out by the road with a free sign.  Dang kids leaving things for me to deal with when I shouldn't have to.

Although my body aches in places that have never before, I am very, very happy with the new look of the kitchen, with just paint.  It's been a long time coming with all the kids banging up cupboards, and walls.  To think it all started with the dishes Mom gave me.  I am so glad the kitchen floor repair is done, and that created us to re-think the 14 year old look of the kitchen.  I'm not ready to move the computer back to the desk in the kitchen.  I have to paint desk cabinet trim, and another window and ceiling trim before that happens.





Comments

Lisa T said…
those cookies look scrumptious...would love the recipe. Happy Bday to your hubby...he's a lucky man
Lisa, I'll try and remember to get that recipe posted. It's my husband's favorite PB cookie.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart