Skip to main content

Thursday Thoughts


It's still very cold here.  Woke up to -9°F.  We are really not likely it either (who would?).  I got everything marked off my to-do list yesterday except for one thing - wash bedding.  If the water is flowing today, I'll get it done.  I'm thankful for leftovers and pre-cooked breakfast.

Hubby is not feeling 100% himself, and found out that some co-workers have been out the entire month of January, and one was out 17 days.  He felt he should have stayed home a few more days to get his body feeling better.  I agreed, but he is back to work anyway.  

Yesterday, I felt off.  Just weird.  Can't explain it, other than I'm not my 100% just yet.  Daughter K can't get rid of a bad cough.  My cough is a bit better.  My cool-mist humidifier arrived and was set up and running before bedtime.  I also sipped some sage tea, and made ginger tea (freshly grated) for my husband.  Thanks for all your support and encouragement and ideas to get us back to "business."

At least I don't have the entire full blown day with dog duty today.  Yesterday, the dogs stopped on the way back in and pulled their paws up.  I had to hurry them inside before having to carry them inside.  I asked Daughter K to bring down any booties they have.  They will need them today as well.

As best as I know, they are springing Mom from the nursing home tomorrow.  I'm not sure if this is a good thing yet or not.  If she has troubles again back at home, the hospitals and the nursing homes are at full capacity, so getting her back in one will be a problem.

Looks like I will need to go fetch firewood for the day.  As soon as I warm up with some coffee, and get my brain fog to ease a bit, I'll work it out so all my outside chores are done in one swoop.



Comments

M. Meyers said…
I'm so happy you're posting daily again. I know it takes energy to do that. Our household had the dreaded C three weeks ago. Of 9 people in the house (we were keeping 4 extra grandchildren) EIGHT of them fell to some sort of illness. I was the only one left standing! So thankful as someone had to do the hand-holding. It took quite a while for Hubby to feel 100% again. Take it easy as much as you can.

Also, I used to enjoy reading Mama Mercantile's blog, but she hasn't posted in the longest time. I know she sometimes comments on your blog. I pray all is well with her.

It's a crazy time in our world, but SPRING is coming!
M. Meyers, I know about that hand holding stuff only with Daughter K it was bringing her homemade ginger-ale, Kleenex, a bucket and what not. Then it was her turn to care for us. Hubby is worried he went back to work too soon. So glad he just has tomorrow and has the weekend off. Glad you mentioned Mama's Mercantile. I will have to check on her too. I too cannot wait for Spring.
Carol said…
I am thankful that you both are feeling somewhat better. Im shocked that your mom is being released considering how many are sick at the moment. I am sure that she would be considered high risk, but I know that the hospitals are all stressed and so many have no beds. It is truly a sad time that we live in and after two years we are still fighting the same nasty virus.
Carol, I am truly concerned about Mom being released. Best I can find out, is that she asked to be released on her own. I am sure if this circles back to needing the ER, that rooms will be extremely hard to locate. Including a nursing home if needed.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart