Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

Our frozen green peppers are still supplying us, as well as the celery cubes I froze, and home grown garlic.  My homemade beef "bullion" cubes are running low though.


Guess what I found?  It was the only book allowed back on the shelf.  Now to find Volume one.  The book store called me back finally, saying the signature couldn't be verified on the book and it was for sale for $39.00.  I found it elsewhere for almost half that price.

We had to head out to the hardware store, and after two stores, I finally found two more seed starter trays (apparently these are selling out fast in our area).  I bought the last two of these.  Canning jars are available everywhere, but absolutely no sign of canning lids.  I sure hope they are in stores soon, I need them.  Yeah, I can freeze sauces, but I can only fit so much in the freezer.

Work resumed on the hallway yesterday, but due to "technical difficulties" of another nature, it's on hold (again).


Comments

Cockeyed Jo said…
I bought my trays from amazon. No shortage there. I also found them at our local feed store. also no shortages. Canning jars and lids are another problem. I went looking for 1/2 pint jars. I found 1 case. Needed 3. U got plenty of pint jars though. Still have four cases I haven't opened yet. Yearly I have about 750-1000 pints in use.
Cockeyed Jo, I found my trays at Menards (large hardware store), but zero canning lids anywhere yet. I can find jars, which I do not need, but will do a recount for sure. I use a lot of pint and half pints.
Cindy said…
i wonder what the deal in on canning lids!!!!! I live in Missouri and thought they would come available during the winter when no one was gardening/canning. However, they are not in our stores! Crazy!!! have plenty of jars. need lids and rings!
JustGail said…
I saw 2 lonely boxes of off-brand regular size canning lids at WM mid-January. I really was looking for wide-mouth lids more, and wasn't sure about the brand I saw. I left them, and haven't seen anything since. sigh... I should have gotten them, just to use for non-canning purposes and save the big-name lid stash for canning.
Cindy, I'm seeing lots of jars with lids, but no rims and lids too. Crazy!
JustGail, I saw an off brand at a hardware store, and bought two boxes, but reviews say they are not good. Sigh...

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart