Skip to main content

More Tomato Sauce Canned ~ Last Green Bell Pepper Picking

 

Friday morning the clouds were low and looked like mountains.  I sliced up 23# of tomatoes and got my sauce maker back out.



I am thrilled to get more tomato sauce canned.  I have more green tomatoes in the kitchen though.





Our Friday weather was brr! cold!  Low 50's with a possible frost this morning (38°F), so I did my last picking of the green bell peppers.  We got 110 not including all those little ones in the strainer.  A wonderful harvest this year.

Comments

Rain said…
Hi Kristina :) Congratulations on your pepper harvest!! That photo of the clouds is awesome! :)
mamasmercantile said…
What a great harvest, you have done so well. I have some green tomatoes left, so I had thought of making some green tomato chutney rather than see them go to waste.
mamasmercantile, one year I had so many green tomatoes I made green tomato chutney and green tomato relish (sort of like salsa). I don't have enough this year, but I made green tomato cake and it was so good. I'm sharing the link to the recipe on Monday.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart