Skip to main content

Rain ~ Tomato Sauce


It thankfully rained for a bit the other day.  So happy to see that.


I canned tomato sauce.  Beautiful 6 1/2 pints, but realized I dag'gon forgot the lemon juice.  I wasted 7 hard to find lids, opened the jars and froze it in freezer bags.  Sigh....at least I got the tomato sauce made this year.  Woohoo to that.


Comments

mamasmercantile said…
Thankfully you remembered that you had forgotten the lemon juice. Hurrah to having some sauce to freeze.
Anonymous said…
I feel your pain. I did the exact same thing. So frustrating! Why can't that lemon juice get in there on it's own?!?!?
Debby Flowers said…
HI Kristine - beautiful jars of sauce. You know, I never put lemon juice in mine.
mamasmercantile, I was water bathing them when I realized it. Ugh.
RockPilesAndCaterpillers, I put a sticky note up above my stove and I'll keep it there until canning season is over. Sigh.
Debby, in all my research on it, if you pressure can you don't need it, but if you water bath it, it can go bad. I guess I wasn't taking that chance.
Debby Flowers said…
Ah, you know it's been so long since I've canned, a couple of years at least. I usually pressure can.
Cockeyed Jo said…
I don't start my tomato sauce until we light the wood stove for heat. After harvesting bushels of tomatoes. wash, core, and stick them in 2-gallon bags. I'll put them in the freezer until then. This way my wood stove does double duty it cooks my sauce as it heats my house.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart