Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

The kale in the garden was a complete fail.  No harvest.  What didn't get eaten up by bugs was fried in this years drought.

Collards don't look good, but there is hope for the chard.  Have no idea on the root veggies yet.  The turnips I did pull were small.


Tried a new recipe - frozen peanut butter pie!  Delicious.  Hubby was happy to have a cold dessert after a long hot day.
By the way, we got rain last night.  Not a lot, but more than the last time.




Almost stepped on this guy yesterday.  They day before that I almost stepped on a snake.


Made a batch of homemade Kahlua.  I gifted this one year for Christmas.  Recipe is online and easy to find. I won't be gifting this batch.  Once it's done, strained and re-bottled, I'll be trying a new recipe with it.


Made myself my first mint julep.  Very refreshing.


Made my Mom's Dried Beef casserole for dinner last night. I needed something easy. Recipe is on my blog.  Another recipe I am scanning for the girls for their Recipe Boxes I'll gift.

I'm finally back to deep cleaning my utility room.  As soon as the rain passes, I'll be washing up winter coats, quilts, blankets, and comforters (before outside drying becomes more difficult).

I'm thrilled I don't have to water the gardens this morning.  It gives me more time to deep clean today and tomorrow.  Maybe.  Just maybe.  I'll get a teensy bit of crochet time in today.

I marinated chicken last night (another recipe to pass on to the girls), with homegrown jalapenos and garlic.  I have a very easy dinner again tonight.  Honey Jalapeno Chicken on the counter top grill, and a side of hopefully garden veggie.  I guess we'll see what's out there this morning.




Comments

M. Meyers said…
I woke up to heavy winds and rain from Hurricane Laura. She hit smack dab where we lived in Louisiana for 20 years. Many friends have terrible damage. 2020 will be a year to forget! A friend gifted me a huge box of old cookbooks, so I’ll sit on the patio, enjoy the rain, and mark recipes to try. Hope you get in some needle time!
Thanks M. Meyers. Old cookbooks are a favorite read for me too. Enjoy!
Leigh said…
I've never known anyone who was thrilled about deep cleaning, lol. Sorry your garden hasn't done well. That seems to be the story of the summer for everyone. Pie sounds amazing!
Leigh, I'm getting more from the garden we did last year, so that's a plus, but yeah, some stuff didn't do well due to the drought.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart