Skip to main content

Heat Wave ~ Garden ~ Weekend Work

The heat rolled in as they predicted.  No sign of rain is exhausting.  There is a caution of drought conditions, which will be an issue with the gardens.  We are still in the 90's here. We have been diligent with garden work and outside work, like finishing the pressure washing.





Peas are still rolling in with constant watering, but plants are not as tall as they should be.  Harvest amounts are lower. 

I've been much better at logging the harvest.  The numbers will determine what we will plant or not plant next year. 




Although I attempted to get pictures of our wrens, this guy wanted to be the star of attraction yesterday morning.

Thank you all who had concerns about my sciatica.  I have been doing my stretching diligently, because if I don't get better, the garden dies, chickens won't get fed and watered etc.  I can sleep without pain now, and that helps with a better start to the day.

We had the best 4th of July ever.  We ended the night watching fireworks off the front porch and they were fantastic.  Love our neighbors all around.  There were so many more setting them off this year and it was fantastic.  It end the day perfectly.


Comments

Mama Pea said…
Your own local fireworks! How fun! Good to hear the sciatica pain is getting better. My daughter experiences that now and then so I know it can be miserable. Here's to complete healing for you!
Mama Pea, the fireworks were awesome. Thanks. It is painful for sure, and I hope it stays away now that I am stretching and have a new treadmill.
mamasmercantile said…
The fireworks sound like fun, so glad that you were able to enjoy them and celebrate. Glad your are sleeping better without pain, long may that last.
mamasmrcantile, our local fireworks were all canceled so folks went out and bought them and it was such a good show from my porch. I hope they do it next year. They even stopped them early and didn't do them into the wee hours of the night.
Stephen said…
Good luck there with the lack of rain. We had an agonisingly dry summer here where all the dams ran empty and we were carting water every day. Certainly don't wish the same on you!
Thanks Stephen, it's been a trying year for sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart