Skip to main content

Cardinals ~ Weather ~ Peace Treaty ~ Cookies!





More photos from the other day.  I went outside for these, and most flew off, but a few came back.  Much better to see instead of through a dirty window, ha ha!

Snow moved in, and we were told it could bring 4-6 inches 7 in other areas.  We woke up to maybe 2 inches and it is 32°F not the 8 degrees they said it would be.  It's still snowing though.  School has a 2 hour delay.

On the breakfast plate . . .
A garbage frittata with some sliced zucchini, topped with garden chives.  I added a pinch of fire powder to boost our metabolism too.



I've been taking treats (peace treaty) out to the chickens when I feed/water and fetch eggs.  So far, it's sort of working.  

In the morning I brought in 3 eggs, and later in the evening 2 more, but that darn rooster went at me again.  I think he has cabin fever or something.  I can't wait for a warmer day to send them out into the run.  Oh, he went at Hubby too. 



Speaking of eggs, I broke down and made biscuits for dinner.  Sigh.  Hubby isn't supposed to have all those carbs, but I've been doing so good at keeping them out of our meals, so I am caved in and made sausage and gravy for dinner.  Along with scrambled eggs etc.

I've been hankering a sweet treat lately.  I've stuck with the low carb/low sugar etc. thing with the Hub-ster, and I needed a treat.  Not being able to make my regular cookies, I googled for a low carb shortbread cookie and wa-la!  


However....they tasted terrible.   Like a mouth full of almond flour.  I'm just gonna bake my regular recipes, but only once in a while.



I got another cross bookmark finished, read my book a bit, and one yarn order arrived for the baby blanket.  I'm waiting on one more color to arrive and I can start that.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Curious to know if your hubby has noticed any weight loss since being on his low-carb, low-sugar, etc. diet. I'm such a carb type (according to all the books) that it's really hard for me not to crave them. Papa Pea is definitely a protein type and doesn't even care much for something like pasta that I could eat every day. We're all different, aren't we?!
Mama Pea, we have all lost weight. I love a good tuna and noodle dinner over mashed potatoes and corn, but that's all carbs and we haven't eaten like that in weeks. I may save that dinner for a celebration after his next check up.
RB said…
The cardinals are so pretty. I miss ours.
I'm thinking look on Giada deLaurentis website for low carb/no carb cookies and treats. Italians use alternate flours and nut flours for deserts often, mixing them as needed to get the appropriate taste and texture.
Our Grandma use to deal with naughty roosters chasing them with a broom, or in summer time, with chasing them away with her apron. Worked well. At least I remember being impressed as a child. LOL
Prayers everyone has a great day tomorrow.
God bless.
RB
<><

Cockeyed Jo said…
Kristina, The day of our heavy snow fall, I saw bunches of cardinals, chickadees, wrens, and even a robin or two.
mamasmercantile said…
The cardinals are a delight to see. Shame the cookies didn't work out as hoped. I love the bookmark.
Leigh said…
Oh gosh, biscuits and gravy is a heart warming favorite. Sounds like it's an extra special treat at your house! I'm sorry to hear about the cookies though. I've mixed almond flour with oat flour for pancakes and that was good.
Thanks RB, it's been nice to see the birds.
Cockeyed Jo, that is great. It must be a year for seeing more birds.
Thanks Leigh, I'll be looking at more recipes.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart