Skip to main content

Natural Poison Ivy Remedies

Here is yet another draft resurrected, and this one was drafted up way back in September of 2018.  There are probably so many more remedies, but posting this.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Summer time means some folks may get poison ivy while doing yard work, foraging, camping, or just gardening. 

One year, we had wild growing milkweed, and we simply cut pieces each day, and applied the milk from the weed to the poison ivy.  It will burn a bit, but we left it on for about 20 minutes then removed it with cool water.  It dried up the poison ivy fairly quickly.

You can soak in a bathtub with warm water and plantain tea bags (1-2 tsp of dried plantain per teabag).  I have large muslin bags I use for bath teas.

A dandelion poultice can be applied to poison ivy to help dry it up, and reduce the itch.

Cleaver poultices.  They cool the inflamed skin, and aid healing.  

Chickweed salve is also good for healing poison ivy.  If you cannot make it, you can buy this salve (most times it includes plantain in the salve).  I learned about this from an Amish woman.  The salve is also great for applying to the sting you get from touching/rubbing into stinging nettle too.

Do you have a favorite remedy for poison ivy?

Comments

Impatiens capsensis or Touch me not. Gather the stems and break them open and put the liquid on the Poison Ivy and the itch will be gone and you will clear up fast! We have also taken the biggest stems and put them in a blender to make a salve:) Works great!
Far Side of Fifty, thank you so much. I love learning new remedies.
I hate poison ivy and it grows all around here. The minute I see a small spot I rub it (hard) with salt. Rinse it, put more salt on it and bandage the spot. It clears it quickly but the process does hurt a little. For me I had rather have a bit of pain on the front end, than the potential spreading from scratching it.
Anne in the kitchen, thanks. I agree about getting rid of it before it spreads. I had a daughter that got it so bad (she told me too late), that had to get medical help to get rid of hers.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart