Skip to main content

Till Man

The rain finally gave us a break and a chance for my "Till Man" to till.  I got more planting done too.  The earliest seeds we planted in May are already producing.  My hot banana pepper plants have pretty good size peppers on them now.



Check it out!  We finally have apples on one of our apple trees.  Our cherry tree died last winter, so I'll replant one next spring.  The plum looks terrible, so I'll whip up some neem spray and give that a try.  It still has fungus.  No peaches this year.  I'll have to be prudent with pruning this fall.






Radishes and garlic scapes are rolling in now.   I had good intentions to blanch and freeze the radish greens, but the ants ate holes all over in the leaves (boo hoo!).

We  will be enjoying some garlic scape and radish spread on some crackers too.  Yum.  Love it!

Shy of a row of wax beans, I have the green beans in and the kale planted, but there are a few more seeds and plants to get in.  Between weather and Hubby's work schedule, it's been an hit and miss garden year.

Comments

mamasmercantile said…
Those radish look tasty. It is an hit and miss garden year here too.
mamsmercantile, the french breakfast radishes are our favorite. We eat them straight from the garden.
Connie said…
Your garden is coming along wonderfully. You are a head of us, but ours is growing by leaps and bounds. All we need is a couple more weeks of warm weather and we can start eating from the garden :)
Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my blog and for your lovely blogging friendship.
Have a nice weekend.
Connie :)
Susan said…
We're behind you, that's for sure. I'm looking forward to scapes here, too, as I love garlic scape pesto!!!
Connie, thank! We are getting more rain tomorrow, so it's inside for me for a few days (again). But...that's not all bad either. Lots to get done.
Susan, yum! I don't think I've made pesto with them for a few years. Good idea.
RB said…
Gracious! Your garden is doing very well there. Many farmers down here only got their crops in within the last month due to excess wetness, and many farmers west of us lost most of their crops once they did get them in due to heavy rains last couple of weeks.
Been a tough year for rains down here, but maybe it's something we'll be grateful for with the farm ponds and lakes full come July/August.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, farmers have the same issues here with rain too, and more is coming.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart