Skip to main content

Macadamia Peanut Brittle Recipe ~ Homemade Peppermint Patties

There was a request for the other brittle recipe, so here it is:

Macadamia Peanut Brittle
(you need a candy thermometer to make this)

1 cup sugar, organic
1/2 cup light corn syrup, organic
1/4 tsp. salt 
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup peanuts, organic
1/2 cup macadamia nuts, organic
2 Tbsp. butter organic, softenend
1 tsp. baking soda 

Prepare a baking sheet by greasing it with organic shortening.  Set aside on a hot pad.  Measure butter and soda and keep nearby.

In a medium saucepan mix sugar, corn syrup, water and salt.  Place candy thermometer in pan.  Bring to a boil.  

Toss in nuts and continue to boil. Stir consistently, but slowly so you do not slow down the temperature, but keep it from sticking to the pan.

When it reaches 300°F remove from heat and remove thermometer, add butter stirring.  Once the butter is melted, stir in the baking soda and pour onto prepared pan.  It will foam up.   Spread the mixture out and allow it to cool completely.  

Break into pieces and store in an air tight container.


 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I also made homemade peppermint patties for the first time.  So easy to make too.  Here is that recipe:



(Youngest helped me)

Homemade Peppermint Patties
3/4 cup organic sweetened condensed milk
2 1/2 tsp. organic (or homemade) peppermint extract
4 cups organic powdered sugar


Mix and roll flat on a non-stick surface to about a 1/2 inch thickness.  This dough is sticky, so you may need to work it a bit by hand, then roll between two pieces of parchment paper.  Or coat the rolling pin with powdered sugar.

Cut into small pieces and all them to dry on a non-stick pan for up to 12 hours.  You could get fancy and make small circles, but for us squares were quick and easy.

Drop each piece into melted dark chocolate and coat.  Place pieces on waxed paper to harden.  Store in an airtight container.

Note:  You won't use an entire can of sweetened condensed milk, so I put my leftover milk in the fridge to use up later.  There are many tips on using leftover sweetened condensed milk on the internet.

Comments

mamasmercantile said…
Thank you so much for sharing the recipe, I am going to give it try.
You are welcome mamasmercantile. Merry Christmas!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart