Skip to main content

Fall Garlic Planting ~ Garlic Powder ~ Recipes that Use It

We worked on barn wood all day Sunday.  We are very tired and sore.  I took photos, but will load them later to share.  As soon as we finished removing boards so we could load up a trailer, a stranger pulled in wanting the metal hay rail.  We now know why the other guy wanted it - money.  Each little metal piece (photo to come later) is worth $10.00.  Not including the rail.  So this stranger, after we did all the work, just drives on in and asks for it for free.  I'm going to put signs up for those types of people. Oh, and the stranger immediately asked for the pulleys.  Hm.  The nerve of people. 

So, without photos of the barn clean up, I'll share my garlic.  A frost is possible in a week or so, and I wanted this job done.

Last year I planted about 175 cloves of garlic.

This year? 

I planted 70 cloves of Moroccan Creole, 56 cloves of Russian Giant, and 100 cloves of our regular variety (so far - we have no idea what type it is, as we were gifted it to start our first garlic bed years ago). 

Grand total so far:  226 cloves of garlic

In the fall I also dehydrate a lot of our current garlic, and grind it into garlic powder.  Pure home grown, chemical free, no fillers, no anti-caking agents, goodness.

Many of my recipes call for fresh, but some call for powdered.  These recipes are listed using what I grow or make, so you can adapt and of course reduce for smaller families.

Here are a few recipes (and links to recipes) I use my home ground garlic powder in:


Roasted Italian Cauliflower
2 heads of organic cauliflower cut into bite size pieces
3 Tbsp. Organic olive oil
1 - 4 oz. home canned jar of tomato paste
2 tsp. dijon mustard
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. or less of garlic powder
salt and pepper

In a large mixing bowl whisk olive oil, tomato paste, and mustard.  Add Parmesan cheese, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.  Add cauliflower pieces and coat well.  Place in single layer on baking sheet and bake at 425°F for 20-25 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender.


Garlic Butter



Pumpkin-Sage Macaroni and Cheese

Zesty Italian Dressing (and the dry dressing too) 

Baked Flounder

Homemade Meatballs

Zucchini Salsa 

Cowboy Candy 

Homemade Sausage

Homemade Alfredo Sauce


How I make garlic powder:  go here

Peel garlic, slice thin, and place on dehydrator trays.  Dehydrate according to your dehydrator.  Allow it to come to room temperature when completely dry, and grind it to make garlic powder.  

I use a mini coffee bean grinder to grind mine.  I store it in a recycled glass jar with lid.  It stores very nicely, and tastes great. 















 




Comments

Leigh said…
Wow, your garlic is fantastic! One can never have too much garlic, LOL.

Some people can be really nervy when it comes to wanting free stuff. Suggest they pay for it and they get indignant! But they don't mind someone else doing the work for free. We had a similar problem for awhile when we first bought our place. We had appliances stored temporarily in the old barn carport and people were stopping by to ask if they could have this or that. And it wasn't all that visible from the street! You had to be deliberately looking to see it.
Susan said…
That is so typical - you do all the work and someone waltzes up and expects you to hand over anything of value. Thank you for the recipes - and the method. I only grew two kinds of garlic last year and, so far, have only gotten one kind for planting. I need to get some hustle into my bustle.
Sam I Am...... said…
You worked really hard this weekend! The barn AND planted all that garlic? Wow, girlfriend....you are amazing! My daughter plants garlic and she was looking for Russian garlic but couldn't find it. i have yet to plant any but the desire is there! LOL!
Thank you for all the wonderful recipes and links! The Italian cauliflower sounds great and so many others I've heard you talk about in the past. I need to go find my dehydrator too! Rest up a bit today....you deserve it! Hugs ~ Sam
Leigh, I use garlic in many dishes, canned goods and even breakfast and snacks. Yeah, people can be pretty nervy these days.
Susan, I wanted to plant 400 cloves this year, and sell the Russian Giant variety at the market next year. Yeah, that isn't going to happen, ha ha!
Sam I Am, I have one daughter who loves that cauliflower dish. I need to make it again soon. No rest today though. Popcorn needs pulled. I'm "pulling" the garden on my own this fall.
mamasmercantile said…
You put me to shame with all your hard work.
mamasmercantile, some days I don't get anything done. Like the days I have to see the doctor about my spider bites. I just take my handiwork and try to get some of that done.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart