Skip to main content

Baking up a little love ~ Einkorn Snickerdoodles

I felt so awful that Hubby had no breakfast to take to work yesterday, and no lunch.  Literally.  We haven't been home but one day I think. 

So, as soon as I could, I baked up a swiss chard/zucchini frittata topped with chives.
  

I thawed some Michigan Salmon from my older brother, and whipped up some salmon patties (had just enough green onions in the herb garden).  I made homemade tartar sauce using nongmo/organic mayo and home canned sweet pickle relish.  Our favorite.


I also had just enough parsley in the herb garden and enough peas, so I whipped up a pea/parsley pesto too.  

We are so low on groceries it's not even funny.  We ran out of chicken feed two days ago.  I have been feeding them what I can from my own pantry, and we finally restocked Monday.

A good percentage of the family is pretty much living in the surgery/Heart unit waiting room at the hospital.



I thought it would be nice to bake up a little love and take it along with us.  I stress bake too, so it worked out well.

I baked Einkorn Snickerdoodles.  Made with butter, and very good.  If you haven't made these, you are missing out. I bet they would freeze nicely too.  The recipe is from Jovial's website.

As of this morning, we have no updates on the SIL's.  The last we heard, was that they were keeping her sedated for a day or two, to allow her heart to rest.  I think they are taking x-rays to check on heart damage as well, before attempting to remove her from the machines. 

We had pouring down rain, thunder and lightning most of yesterday.  Places are flooded. Today, it continues a bit.  It's too wet to get into the garden, and will be for a few days.  I may have to pick peas in the rain if it continues into tomorrow.  The flower beds are overflowing with weeds now too, but the indoor work calls today.  Unless we get any emergency phone calls.  Most of the family had to work today. 

Comments

Rain said…
Poor woman, I'm still sending well wishes. The food looks great. I have yet to make a frittata. I have to get going on that! You know, that's a good way to put it, stress cooking. I think I do that too.
Susan said…
You sure have been making up for lost time. I guess the only good thing about so much rain is that, when it finally stops, weeds will be very easy to pull out!
Rain, thank you for the well wishes.
Susan, ha ha! I was thinking the same thing, and they'll be taller, which means less bending over, ha ha!
Mama Pea said…
I think this time of year, the only time we get a day to get caught up on our inside things is when it's too wet to go out in the garden! I'm kinda sorta hoping for that tomorrow as rain is forecast. Knowing that, I really pushed on getting a lot done outside today so I could feel okay about having a rain day tomorrow when I couldn't be outside!

Sending more good wishes for your family in the hospital.
Mama pea, we are definitely getting indoor work caught up right now. Thank you for the good wishes.
RB said…
Good to hear everyone's resting. That's often the best thing.
Some on tv food shows have talked about making sandwiches of frittatas. Have you ever done that? Sounds good.
Continuing in prayer for your SILs.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I have not done that. I will have to search the internet for that. Thank you for the continued prayers.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart