Skip to main content

Wild Weeds ~ Dandelion Syrup

The recent rain brought us some of these golden goodies. It's dandelion season.
  

 First on the list of what I need to make this spring is Dandelion syrup.

  Done.  I made a new recipe using dandelions, water, honey and organic lemon juice.

 If I can get my rear in gear and pick some early one of these next mornings, I'll make us some dandelion pancakes to go with it, and some dandelion flower bread too.  There are so many recipes online.  I luckily have a few dandelion cookbooks.  I want one more I think.


This one. Maybe.  I plan on reading it on the porch after a good day's work outside today.

I'm joining the Simple Homestead Hop today.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Nary a dandelion in sight here yet. Our first mowing of the lawn is always delayed until it looks absolutely terrible, 'cause Papa Pea won't mow down the dandelions (when they do appear) because it's something for our bees to work. :o/
Mama Pea, I almost put bees out by an area in our pasture that is heavily loaded with red clover. I'm just afraid they'd travel off to the sprayed crops and come back with pesticides.
Mama Pea said…
Unfortunately, they would do just that, Kristina. That's part of what is mutating our country's honey bees and causing their demise. It's sad.
Mama Pea, I thought they would. I'll just have to buy honey for now.
Rain said…
We don't have any dandelions yet either, but I do love them. I've never cooked with them though, that's something I want to try this summer. I've often mentioned that we are renting. Our cottage has a large side yard that we basically don't touch. In the summer it's a bed of yellow with all the dandelions, so beautiful and I wouldn't mow them ever. Our do-gooder neighbour had his riding mower out last summer and started to mow the side lawn WITHOUT telling us. He claimed he "just wanted to help us out" but we could see right through that! He is Mr-Manicured-Lawn-Guy and he didn't want our dandelion spores to settle on his lawn. Blah! Alex stopped him in his tracks and he won't be back to mow any of our lawn again!
RB said…
Good gracious!!! When I think of the millions upon millions (must be) of dandelions our Grandmother dug up with a big screwdriver and threw in the burn barrel, I shudder to think all you could have made with them.
She dug up so many, no exaggeration here, some of her house dresses were sun faded from her hips to her neck from her bending over to dig them out. Then from her bottom down to her knees, they'd be the right color. LOL
Praying for a wonderful Easter weekend for everyone, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, my Dad used to dig the dandelions up with a screwdriver too. Funny how much we didn't know back then.
Rain, we have a ton of them right now. And we just mowed, and need to mow again already. I hope to get some picked before daughter mows. We are super busy this weekend with another project.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart