Skip to main content

Weeds ~ Chickweed Tincture ~ Whiskey Butter ~ Asparagus ~ Garden Planting Starts

I have been weeding the rose bed, which may get all torn out and roses moved.  Every year one particular rose plant in one area dies.  I think they get more shade than sun, so I may have to re-think what I'll plant there for color.  Anyway, I had a good amount of chickweed, cleavers and dandelions in that bed too.

I got all of them into the dehydrator for other uses, including facial cleansers, and even got a bit of dandelion root dried.



I took a good amount of fresh chickweed, and chopped it up.  I am making a tincture from it.  Two pints that will sit for 4-6 weeks.  The jars are packed with chickweed, so when I strain them, I won't have much.  I will need to make more I think.  Almost any online site will tell you how to make a tincture, but almost zero will give a testimony on what it cures or heals or helps heal.  I'll be sure to be back with a testimony when this is used.



I took some fresh chickweed, ground it up into a poultice, and placed them on my eyes at the end of the day.  It reduces inflammation and gives your eyes a soothing rejuvenation of sorts.  I followed the recommended time, and kept them on my eyes for 20 minutes.  I had to use paper towels.  I am fresh out of cheese cloth and gauze.  I can say my eyes felt great, and I honestly felt my eyesight was a tad sharper.  I have been outside in the wind, and my allergies are a bit flared, so this was a nice treat.


I had fresh cleavers available and I made an overnight tea infusion for lymph congestion.  I still have laryngitis and it's driving me nuts.  I'll let you know if this helps.  The recipe is in Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Health book.  I am also drinking a combination of apple cider vinegar (2Tbsp) with honey (1 tsp), and a half cup of water for it.  It is getting better.

As soon as our goldenrod blooms, which won't be for a while, I'll be drying it for next allergy season.  I found a recipe in this book 

for an different allergy tea to drink . I borrowed this from the library (again).


I have parsley up in the garden (from re-seeding from last year), and I made whiskey butter for steaks and sweet potatoes.  Last year's garlic is still providing.



Our asparagus is doing great right now.  I brought in a little over a pound of it, and decided to try a new fresh salad recipe.


Shaved asparagus and white bean salad.  It's from Clean Eating online if you want to try it. We enjoyed this for our lunch break on Wednesday.   It's delicious.  Hubby took a vacation day, and we....

....planted 93 seed potatoes (Red Norland, Kennebec), chard, kale, shell peas, and sugar snap peas.  Then it rained, which we were so thankful for.  I'll have to get back out later after it dries up and plant the beets, carrots and radishes.  Overall, we were thrilled we got that much done.  A bit of mowing was accomplished, as well as picking up tree debris.  We planted our seed potatoes whole this year.  We felt, in our soil, they produced better this way, as opposed to preparing them by dicing them up prior to planting.  Oh, and we started our day with a morning motorcycle ride prior to all that work.  Then we ended the evening with another grill out on the porch to celebrate while the rain came down.  The kids joined us, as it was their first day back to school after Easter break.

I'm thankful it's wet out and more rain is in the forecast.  I can get some of my "rainy day" list checked off. 

Comments

Rain said…
Wow, you got a lot done Kristina. Where does your energy come from? I wonder some days when I'm looking out at the snow gradually melting, if I'll have the energy to take care of my garden! Some days just making dinner is a big challenge lol...your whisky butter looks great. That's cool about the chickweed for your eyes, we use cucumbers or old chamomile tea bags.
Susan said…
My goodness, you can pack a lot into a day! I will have to try that poultice on my eyelids. After a day of staring at a computer screen and watching for idiots on my commute home, my eyes could use some relief! I have always used damp chamomile tea bags but am always up for something new.
Rain, this is the first time to experiment with chickweed. Trust me, Hubby and I were so tired last night.
Susan, it really made my eyes feel so refreshed. I just chopped it up with my hand chopper, added warm water and flour to make the paste (tiny bit of flour). Yeah, we are both taking it easy today. He had to go to work, but storms are in the area, so no outside work (thankfully).
RB said…
You've been busy. I got tired just reading about all you did. LOL
Several years ago, our sister got me a big plastic rooster planter, I think maybe as a joke, but I love it. Every year, I plant two types of sweet potatoes in it, and they grow beautiful vines that trail over the sides, all for about 80 cents. ;o)
Praying everyone has a great weekend, and a safe one.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I bet that planter is cute. You have a safe week too.
Sam I Am...... said…
I felt good about all I had accomplished today until I read your post! LOL! I remember those days but as hard as I think I work it's not nearly what I used to be able to get done. Good for you guys! I miss those days.
Sam I Am, I don't usually get so much done, but this year has been fantastic.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart