Skip to main content

Vanilla ~ Muffins ~ Pampering Myself

Homemade vanilla extract was refilled.  I go through it very quickly at this homestead.  However, as gardening season sets in, I won't have all this time to bake with (probably a good thing).



Enjoying another batch of homemade English muffins.  These don't have a lot of "nooks" and "crannies" but they are delicious.  The trick is to only knead the dough a few minutes to keep it soft.


And just so you know I am taking time for myself, and pampering myself.  I took that last glass of bubbly (from the pea dish night) and took it to the bathroom.... 

....and had a nice relaxing soak in the tub with essential oils.  I had some candles burning and rejuvenated my body and soul. Momentarily.

Today's it's back to that tile floor.  

Or not.

Comments

Rain said…
Hmmm...that would be me "...or not"...likely NOT. :) I go through lots of vanilla extract here too, I need to make my own. I do have vanilla beans...there is just so much to think about, so many things I want to stop buying, but I get overwhelmed really easily. I should keep a list of what I'd like to home-make and tackle them one at a time. I'm so glad you had a nice relaxing bath. I do the same with a glass of wine a few times a week, it really rejuvenates! :)
Mama Pea said…
I could eat one of those English muffins slathered with butter right now!
Rain, I am typically one to put myself last, and this year I am devoted to put myself up a notch.
Mama Pea, the muffins are pretty darn good. I love the fact the recipe only contains 1 Tbsp. of honey. Yum.
Sam I Am...... said…
Good for you! Self-care is important! I haven't made anymore muffins as I can barely keep up now that everything is growing like weeds outside and most of them are weeds! Yours look perfect!
Thanks Sam I Am, I need to let the dough rise more during the first rise next time. I was sort of in a hurry. Like you said, "barely keep up." So much to do now.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart