Skip to main content

Garden Beauty

Although I already posted this photo, here are just a few more....some of these were taken last week or so.



There is no shortage of outside work.  I have many, many gardens to tidy up.  Here are a few more garden beauties....


The day after I snapped this photo, I noticed it missing from the flower bed.  The entire flower, bulb and all.  Hm.  Rabbit?  It's in an odd place for it to be a deer, as it's so close to the front porch.  I thought moles/voles don't like them, so I'm stumped.  Other than maybe a rabbit.  There are daffodils right next to it, untouched.  It was my only bright pink one too.

I did some research because this was so strange.  It may be field mice using the old mole tunnels.  I dropped some torn up mint gum down the holes.  We'll see if that helps.  It will look like grubs to the moles and I read that it will also kill moles and deter the mice using the tunnels (if that's the case).



These are the only remaining tulips we have.  The moles got the rest a few years back, and I just haven't replanted. Maybe this fall it'll happen.


Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
Your flowers are gorgeous and I love the 'daffys' with the orange! So sad about your flower....it's a constant battle even where I live in town. I know deer don't like daffodils but they do like lilies and tulips, I think. I'm not sure about hyacinth.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart