Skip to main content

Green Tomato Chutney ~ Green Tomato Relish.



I brought in 17# of green tomatoes before our frost, so I canned a simple green tomato chutney.  


There are so many recipes, I just wanted to try a simple one first.  It filled 6 half-pints (tripled recipe), so I hope it's tasty.  This came from the book "Foolproof Preserving."  It appears I could have thickened it just a bit more, but it was already sticking to the pan.

What was next?



I used 4 more pounds (double batch) to make our first green tomato salsa, which came with raving reviews.  I canned a double batch, giving us 6 pints.   


 Green tomato salsa relish.  I was given the tip that this recipe is delicious!  No sugar either.   As you can see, I had to use my last blue ball jars and some wide mouth jars. Jars are running low again.

The chutney will be tasted on pork chops or chicken, or even a cheese sandwich.  The salsa can be eaten with chips, added to rice, quinoa, millet, green beans, peas, mixed into black beans, on burgers, topped on a breakfast burrito...endless ideas.

Oh, and it looks like "Christmas" so consider these for gifting. 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Hee-hee! I'm beginning to think your supply of tomatoes is ENDLESS. It's getting kinda scary, Kristina!!
Kim said…
Isn't it wonderful to be putting food in the pantry. When the Lord blesses us with his richness it feels like a hug from above. I hope hubs is feeling better today.
Sam I Am...... said…
Great ideas! Especially about the Christmas colors. I wish they would sell green tomatoes in the stores! LOL!
Mama Pea, Hubby is ready to start tossing them at the barn or something, ha ha!
Thanks Kim! It is a blessing for sure.
Sam I Am, if you have any local produce stands nearby, they may sell you some.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart