Skip to main content

Monday Crazy is Back

I started out Monday with Hubby waking me up, "Hun, did you thaw tortillas?"

"Oh poo, I forgot."

I got up anyway, and charged slowly scooted my feet to the kitchen.  I weighed out tomatoes for delicious taco sauce.  I've been canning this for a few years and we love the taste of it.  One year we canned BBQ sauce (Ball recipe) and did not like the taste.  I still have one jar of it left.

Anyway, it was a maddening Monday for sure.  While the taco sauce reduced, I had to get pork chops in the crock pot for dinner.  In between those two jobs, I did my usual exercise (reluctantly).

(before the chili powder, dandelions and eggs were added)

Then it was breakfast time - Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos.  I had to run out to pick bell peppers to make it, so I went ahead and grabbed my tomato baskets and went to the garden.  The recipe is online with Clean Eating - absolutely delicious!  I ate it without cheese and loved it.  I used dandelions vs. spinach as well.  It was just what I had more of in the freezer.


I brought in another 23# of tomatoes.  That makes our tally 283# so far this season.  I have not run out of things to stock up on either.  

Taco sauce went into the canner, and I used 4 oz. jars vs. half-pints.   


Oh, then I needed to make another tincture with fresh mullein before the weather changed.  Actually, I made two.  Then I realized my bilberries arrived a few days back and needed to get that brewing too.  Oh, a tidbit I read about the other day - you can make tinctures with apple cider vinegar.  The only downside is that they are only good for 5 months (or so) and they are not as potent as the ones you make with vodka.  And if you do make a vinegar anything, use a plastic lid or line it with parchment paper.



I haven't forgotten to share my bilberry stuff.  I'm still working on that.  Just a little delayed.
 

This morning I am tackling this bowl of tomatoes.  Oh, I have more sitting on the table too.  These will be canned into ketchup.  I don't have enough stocked up yet.  It's a measly 10 pounds, which is a cinch compared to 45 for tomato sauce.  It's easier than taco sauce too.  Taco sauce requires 3 cups of red bell peppers, 1 cup of diced jalapenos and 1/4 cup of chopped garlic and other ingredients.

I am so glad my 19 year-old daughter was home.  She and my son helped drive the younger two to two different places last night, so Hubby and I could steal an hour to take a motorcycle ride.  One kiddo went to Zumba, and the other went to driver's education class.  Long busy nights at our house this week. 

 

 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Oh, Kristina! When the time comes that all of your kids have flown the coop, you are going to find yourself with so much wonderful time on your hands! I think you may have to go into a de-programming program, though, in order to get you to cut back on ALL THE FOOD you put by for the year. The amount just you and your hubby need is going to seem so small!
Mama Pea, I tell the older ones all the time they need to work harder on moving out. Ha ha! Just so I can plant a smaller garden. I will have to de-program. I multi-task way too often, and wear myself out.
RB said…
Pork chops are my favorite, and so is crockpotting.
What recipe did you use to cook them in the crock pot?
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, original recipe says to brown the chops first, but I do not. I put about 7-8 chops in my crock pot, so you may have to cut the recipe in half if you have less.

1 onion, sliced
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
8 oz. tomato sauce
3-4 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1-2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce.

Mix and pour over chops, cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve over rice.
RB said…
Thanks so much.
God bless.
RB
<><
Sam I Am...... said…
Thanks for the recipe! I love using my crock pot when I can and you can't beat a recommended recipe!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart