Skip to main content

Zippy Carrots ~ Tidbits

I've been flipping trough the new recipes and picking out ones I have ingredients on hand for.  The next to try was a side dish - Zippy Carrots.

I you freeze carrots and green bell peppers, grow garlic, can ketchup, make your own butter, you'll like this "from storage" side dish. 

I'll admit, plain carrots are boring anyway. I used all organic ingredients.


Zippy Carrots
1 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
1 garlic clove minced
1 Tbsp. water
2 Tbsp. diced green pepper
2 tsp. ketchup
pinch of chili powder
(serves 2)

(before adding ketchup and chili pepper)

In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, add carrots and garlic (see note),  cook, and stir for 1 minute.  Add water, cook until carrots are crisp tender, about 6 minutes.  Add green pepper; cook 2 minutes longer.  Remove from the heat, stir in ketchup and chili powder.

I, of course, tripled this recipe for my family, but it was well received.  Almost like a BBQ recipe, but different.   My family loved this.  A great way to add a veggie with a twist.  I think I would make these ahead and take them camping too.

The rain storms have stopped, but we need wind and sunshine to dry it all up now.  Although it's Easter weekend, we have a lot of work to do. 

Comments

Susan said…
Well, darn it. I am trying to go through my stack of recipes and you keep putting up ones I want to try!
He he he! Susan, I almost did not put this one up. Hubby worked late so he never got to taste them until lunch the next day at work. He came home and said, "those were way too good to be carrots."
Mama Pea said…
We eat most of our carrots as raw munchies and I put carrots in a lot of soups and such but have probably cooked carrots as a side dish only a handful of times in the past umpteen years. This recipe does sound good though. I think you have to do something "special" to cooked carrots to make them appetizing!
Mama Pea, other than shredding raw carrots into a salad, we don't eat enough of them raw. I should do better at that.
RB said…
Sounds very different and interesting. We usually have ours glazed. I put butter, carrots, sugar (Splenda), cinnamon, salt and pepper in a skillet. Add a 1/2 cup of water and simmer until the carrots are tender. As the water evaporates, the butter/sugar mix glazes the carrots. I serve it with fresh minced parsley over the top. It's yummy too.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I have made glazed root veggies in my crock pot before too. Yum.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart