Skip to main content

What's in the Jar? ~ Random Tidbits

Guess what I am making next? 

Hint:  It will need to infuse for 3-4 weeks and will be ready in the nick of time for Christmas day.


Hint two:  It's for adults only.

I'm infusing dark organic coffee beans with organic vodka first.  Then you mix a mixture of brewed coffee and sugar and a slight bit of dark rum - homemade coffee liqueur.

For the recipe visit here:  One Tomato Two Tomato (she has a lot of ads, just to warn you, but good recipes) 

This can double as a hot toddy too.  

Hubby just sat and watched me mix, then shook his head and smiled.  He knows I can find the strangest recipes.  I have one for using my lemongrass next year too.

I spent the day ordering books from our library system online.  We can borrow books from other libraries and have it sent to our local library to borrow.  I think I ordered 36 books, so I hope they don't all come in at one time.  They are all DIY type homesteading books.  I'm looking through many herbal books too, to see which one is the best to purchase.  I like to give them a look-see before I purchase.  Some are great for beginners, but some lack the content of which I am looking for.  I love the library, because I can look through the books first, and check them out for free.

Comments

Liz said…
That sounds so interesting!! I forgot I can do that with my library too! What a great idea!
Susan said…
Oooh, that sounds delish! You wouldn't want to post the recipe, would you? I went to click over to her blog but got too many red flags! I always make a Bailey's Irish Cream knock-off and would like something different this year (as, I'm sure, my gift recipients would agree). I need to go online and order some audio books - and get a list of winter reading. I 'rediscovered' all my homesteading books, so don't have to go far for inspiration.
Mama Pea said…
We have a fantastic library system here, too, which sounds much like yours. They've even purchased books we've requested when they didn't have them in their system. Can't beat that!

As for your new alcoholic concoction . . . I'll drink to that! :o]
Liz, it sounded pretty good to me too.
Susan,

Coffee Liqueur Recipe

By By Tammy Kimbler

Adapted from this magical House of Brinson recipe.

This recipe requires 3-4 weeks of infusing time, so start now!

Ingredients:

6 oz whole dark roast coffee beans
3 c vodka (inexpensive is totally OK)
–
1 1/4 c freshly brewed coffee
1 1/4 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs dark rum

Instructions:

Combine 6 oz of whole, dark roast coffee beans (about 1.5 to 2 cups, depending on the beans) with the vodka in a glass container. Cover and let infuse for 3-4 weeks.

Strain the vodka coffee bean mixture through a coffee filter and set aside.

Combine the freshly brewed coffee and sugar in a small sauce pan. Heat until sugar is dissolved in the coffee.

In a glass bottle or jar, combine vodka coffee, coffee syrup, vanilla and rum.

To use, pour a shot over ice, with or without a little half and half, add a glug to your coffee (hot or iced), hot chocolate or hot toddy, and just generally enjoy the heck out of it all year long.
http://www.onetomato-twotomato.com/2015/11/coffee-liqueur-cures-what-ails-you/
Mama Pea, our library is fairly small, so I am thankful we can order from other nearby ones too.
Sam I Am...... said…
Sounds yummy for some Christmas cheer! I'm already "behind the 8 ball" so no new projects for me but maybe next year? All mine need to be mailed too.
RB said…
You're a very busy lady Kristine. I admire your "stick-to-it've-ness" (however that's spelled).
Have a great weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><
Sam I am, that's great your projects are all ready.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart