Skip to main content

. . . from the handiwork journal

Now, first of all, I have no business in starting any of these new fun projects, but I did.  I still have a baby blanket that is not finished.  Remember the granny square one?  I put it away and plum forgot again.  I have to use different white yarn so we'll see if it even turns out right when I do finish it.  

So.... 


Cup of coffee anyone?  This one was a bit of a challenge for me, and my coffee is sitting up a bit too high in the cup, but I'm glad I'm venturing into toys for kids.  This would even make a nice pin cushion for someone who sews and loves coffee.  Heck, it could be hot chocolate.  I could crochet mini marshmallows on top.  I mean it's a play toy, so we can play all sorts of make believe.

 How about a slice of thin crust pepperoni pizza?  I will be making a thick crust too.

I purchased a crochet book filled with toy food for kids.  However, her instructions are not that great.  She leaves out some instructions and details, so if you are a newbie, you'd be saying "huh?" a lot.


 How about a do-nut served on a plate?  Plate is from my pattern book, but do-nut is free on the internet.



You say you want chocolate frosting?  No problem.

 You want sprinkles too?  No problem.



You want that do-nut for a tree ornament?  No problem.   Red Heart yarn has the pattern for free online.



I finally got around to making my first, ever, chicken pot holder.  I used a free tutorial on Youtube, but I think I would make some changes - ditch the hook in the center, make a wing (or not), and maybe make a second one and stitch together for double thickness.  What would you do different?  This could also be used as a dishcloth as is, and the hook would make it nice to hang and dry it.  There pattern is one I like better, but it's sold on Etsy as a finished product, not the pattern.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
These cute projects put a smile on my face this morning! (Good thing you're such an accomplished crocheter though . . . I know I'd never be able to turn out all those fun "toys."

I'd leave the hook off the chicken "potholder" and mount it on the wall in its special little spot in the kitchen!
Susan said…
They are all adorable! I LOVE the doughnut with sprinkles! And that chicken pot holder! OMG. I really do need to learn how to crochet.
Mama Pea, I do love the new items I've done, but when I put the chicken on the wall hanger it flops over. Sad face. I may try sewing a second one to the back, but I don't know if that would stiffen it up a bit to hold the shape.
Susan, the ornament was pretty easy, and the chicken pot holder too. I may need to make a few more this season yet. My daughter asked for an ornament for a school Christmas tree, so that's what she got - teacher and kids loved it.
What a happy distraction!
I love the play food and the chicken!

I have a new grandbaby on the way... and really NEED to get busy on a blanket...
cute stuff!
You're always making something.
Sam I Am...... said…
So cute...each and every one of them. You do a beautiful job crocheting too! I am trying to finish up gifts to get in the mail....wish me luck!
Patricia, it is a happy distraction, ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart