Skip to main content

Porch Time ~ Work Time

Porch time was a bit cooler yesterday, but I had it no less. I honestly wanted one last moment out there before we put furniture away for winter (which is today).   I had most of my chores done, but decided to sneak it in early.  Just in case.

I wasn't sure what dinner time would bring, and I did not want to miss out on "5 minutes for me."

It was another good day to
dry laundry outside, so after the cauliflower and cabbages were finally pulled from the garden, coop cleaned, watering unit scrubbed, carpet shampooed, dinner prep done, I had those few moments of relaxation on the porch.

I'm still reading "The Simplicity Primer" by Patrice Lewis.  Each page is a short bit of advice with a different subject.  I noticed that many times subjects are repeated, but it's mostly common sense advice.  This would be a good gift for a high school graduate in my opinion.  It gives advice on relationships, then marriage, and then having kids as well.  A lot of it contains good reminders on keeping your life simple.  Chaos and clutter free also.  It's a book that I've enjoyed reading a few pages a day, and not all in one sitting. 

Hubby just pulled out of the driveway hauling our 19 year-old's car.  He drove to her college and picked her up and the car.  He has really been working hard on vehicle repairs, and is looking forward to a weekend of no repairs.

While he's working all day on the car, I'll be getting the girls to help and put the front porch furniture in storage.  If I can find that roll of plastic sheeting today, I'll cover a few lower windows on the barn too.   I just need to figure out where I put it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart