Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, June 12, 2015

Just another work day. . .

I overslept this morning, but water is heating now to brew my nettle/oatstraw tea infusion.  Coffee is brewing to wake up my sleepy overworked body.

Another batch of cheese is draining this morning too - Fromage Blanc made with goat's milk.  We are enjoying it while we have it.
We continue to get more rain, thunderstorms, and wind here.  In between, we get spurts of sunshine too.

At the end of a long, hot, sweaty day,  I look forward to a cold shower.  It's very relaxing to spend some time recuperating on the front porch, letting the wind dry my hair. No need for a hair dryer out here.  No need to add extra heat to the house either.  But yesterday, things were different.

Yesterday was a long busy day, but did not involve the big garden.  I had errands to run, then laundry, shampoo carpets (cannot wait until the day I rip them out for good), cleaned the chicken coop (three trips to the compost), dead-headed flowers, waters flower pots, weeded the mailbox flower bed and filled it with mulch, walked two miles, and never did get my oregano cut to dry.

This is the mailbox garden.  The hanging petunia pot is on a rooster hanger on the back of the mailbox pole.  The flags were put in there Memorial Day weekend by our Youngest Daughter, so I just left them in.  There are two knock-out roses in there, that are slowly making new growth (we had to dig them, trim them and move them, so the address number could be seen).

The evening air cooled down and was wonderful compared to that rotten humid heat.

It was my turn, however, to be eaten alive by flies.  They were biting hard, and every time I'd scream at them (as if they were going to listen). Hubby was not getting eaten.  Imagine that.  So, I went inside, rubbed my homemade herbal bug repellant all over my legs (they were only biting my legs for some reason).  When I came back out, I did not get bitten one time.  I'll try the oil again just to make sure it was not a fluke, but it stopped the little monsters from biting me.

I picked a nice basket full of kale from the garden, so I may make a sausage/kale millet skillet with it.  Since I overslept, it won't be this morning's breakfast.  Maybe lunch or dinner now.

It was about 6:30pm when I finally came inside.  Daughter reminded me to make more cheese.  I poured 4 quarts of milk, and got that heated and setting (which is what you see dripping in a pot up in the second photo).

I then looked out the kitchen window, and realized I forgot to lock up the chickens for the night, and ran out and took care of that.  However, I forgot my bucket of water.  

Later, I walked through the house and saw the clothesline still dangling clothes.  It was an eye-rolling moment.  Hubby had to leave to go pick up one daughter who went swimming, and then had to go in another direction to pick up the other at church youth group.  It ended up taking him two hours to get it all done.

Needless to say, I took my time getting the clothes down, and finally showered off the dirt, grime and sweat about 8:00pm.

Thankfully, I have a stack of sticky notes and pens on my nightstand (for all those things I forget to do).  I forgot to mix up some foaming hand soap for one of the bathrooms.  Note to self - teach kids on how to make that soap. 

Today's work all depends on the weather.  Our 18 year-old started her first job last night and worked until 11:30pm.  She has not gotten up for her morning milking yet, so it will interesting how fast she'll want to sell her goats now (that she has a job and lots of hours).  I'm pretty sure she is ready to move on to the next chapter in her life.


Mama Pea said...

I can so relate, Kristina, and I don't even have kids at home! Last night as I staggered out of the bathroom where I'd taken a shower and put on my pjs . . . I had a notepad and pencil in my hand (sound familiar?) . . . I mumbled to hubby, "There just aren't enough hours in the day this time of year." This morning as I was making the bed, I promised myself that during the dead of this coming winter, if I was tired and felt like it, I'd go back to bed for an hour or two after doing the necessary first-of-the-morning things. Will I? Ha, probably not. ;o}

Susan said...

You must top 16,000 steps on your fitbit! I was exhausted and sweaty just reading this, and I'm sitting in my office. I will have to make a note to make that herbal bug repellant - maybe next year.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, the rain storm put a kabosh on my garden work. Poured down while I was out there. The sticky notes are filling up. I never did buy a write-on/wipe off board. I really need to get one.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, my fitbit is racking up the steps, that's for sure. I used the bug oil again yesterday, and it worked again, so now I have to try it against mosquitoes.

RB said...

Once again, made me tired just reading all you get done in a day. Good for you though, and good for your family too.
We haven't hit biting flies lately, but we do get gnats by the millions (it seems) unless there's a breeze going. We also have fire ants aplenty out here in farm country. I'm careful where I go cause they've gotten me a time or two, and it's agony for days (maybe even weeks).
Wondering, are you having problems with the 4-wheeler neighbor this summer?
Have a good weekend.
God bless.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, we are having issues this summer. We've already had one drunk, stuck in the ditch on our property, in the night and had his 4-wheeler tied to one of our trees trying to get it out. We had to move our buck again, due to the loud noise that continues right behind us. Orion would not even come out to eat. While in NC for Oldest Daughter we were outside and I got bit all over one foot by fire ants. I had infected bites for weeks. Ouch!

RB said...

Sorry to hear about the neighbor. Poor Orion. What times do the noise ordinances in your area cover?
Sorry about the fire ant bites. Love nature, but hate them things. And as far as I can determine, the scars never go away. Have had some of them for over a decade already. Ugly!!!
God bless.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Hi Kristina-
thank you for all your comments on my blog lately.
I have had a time with receiving comments from so many people... not sure why. I do get yours, though not directly into my mail box... so I'm slow responding to your comments. (it's such a hassle when the blog isn't jiving with my already busy schedule)
Your days sound much like mine... HIT THE FLOOR RUNNING!
Ready for a soak at the end of the day.
Your garden sounds lovely... I've let mine go-- it's growing but so are the weeds. I've not let my shadow fall near enough in the little plot.
We have the biting flies too! What is it with those beggers?!
I'm going to have a look at your bug repellent and see about mixing up a batch for us here!
Hope your Sunday is a restful one.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Patricia, I hope today is very restful.