Skip to main content

First Homegrown Shell Peas

While checking the garden I saw one plump shell pea pod.  I picked it to see check the size, so I know when to start picking them.  We even tasted these gems of goodness.  I can't believe I haven't grown them before, but you can't grow everything.  Or can you?  Hopefully, in a few more days, I'll be blanching our first shell peas for the freezer.  I took the pea pod out to the goats, to see if they would like it, but they all turned their noses up. 
 
The berry picking continues.  I should have enough to start canning jam.   Looks like a dry day today, so maybe weeding will continue.  I saw one jalapeno on one plant yesterday, but no green peppers just yet.  One zucchini plant is dying.  Hopefully the garden will have the chance to completely dry out and catch it's breath.


Comments

Your pea looks incredible as do your berries! I look forward to seeing your jam! And yes....I hope we can dry out as some of my perennials are even rotting from too much rain. Happy gardening friend! Nicole
Thank you Nicole. We hope to get more ripe berries later today or tomorrow. The rain really plumped them up this season.
longtime wife said…
I have been picking peas for a week or so, sadly I never ever get enough to keep only to eat... I ADORE fresh peas
Susan said…
Those berries look wonderful! At least all this rain is good for something...hope you get a nice dry spell so you can catch up with everything.
Cris said…
If you feel brave, you can make a soup using the pea pods (basically, you cook them in broth/water, puree and strain to remove the fibrous bits, then stir in sour cream/plain yogurt and season to taste) or, as I did last summer, make pea pod wine :D It's pretty good--light, like a pinot grigio type wine.
Mama Pea said…
You've never grown shell peas before? They are just about our favorite frozen veggie over winter. I blanch and freeze A LOT of them. Good you have all those helping hands still at home to shell them! When they're fresh, they're so good tossed in salads. Enjoy!
longtime wife, I am pretty sure we'll only get enough for eating this summer. Next year, I'm planting a lot more.
Susan, the rain really plumped the berries this year.
Cris, thank you for that tip. Otherwise they'll go in the compost.
Mama Pea, you were my inspiration to plant them. We plant a ton of sugar snap, but for some reason I never thought to plant shell peas. I picked some more last night too. I will have to try some on a salad now. Mmmmmm!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart