One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Dehydrating Potatoes

  I'm dehydrating potatoes this year.


I have a 4 tray Excalibur dehydrator.  I filled those trays up in no time, and will have more to dehydrate during the next few days.

I could not get any tips from anyone that had dehydrated grated potatoes, so I went to the Internet ( along with my dehydrator book ).

I boiled the potatoes with skins on, and tested them with a bamboo skewer.  I made sure I removed them as soon as they were cooked all the way through.

I put my potatoes in an ice bath to cool them faster, then transferred them into a glass bowl.  They went into my refrigerator over night.

Early the next morning, before sunrise, I peeled and grated some of the potatoes, and set my dehydrator between 120° and 125° (I read that anything warmer will cause the potatoes to harden on the outside, leaving the centers soft).




I was up before the sunrise, and took some new photos of the moon.  I'll be adding one to my Flickr page:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/ (be sure to check it later).  When I went out to milk the goats, I saw an opportunity to take photos.

The weather today is hot, hot, hot. Humid, humid, humid. No rain yet either, but hopefully soon.


I'm still looking for a good hot pepper jelly recipe.  The first jelly I made was an apricot-jalapeno (good, but not hot), then I made pepper jelly with green peppers and jalapeno - not hot enough.  I'm going to try adding some cayenne or other hot pepper.  I even left the seeds in the second jelly, and it still was not hot enough.  I guess I'll keep trying and hopefully be successful at it. 

We brought home a full bag of cauliflower and 5 more dozen ears of corn.  Guess you know what I'll be doing soon - freezing vegetables.  I hope to make a few pizza's with the cauliflower.

Now, I must go re-water the goats and chickens and see what needs to be done here at home.

I hope to retreat to bed early, but first watch a bit of Little House.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I tried dehydrating potatoes but mine doesn't have a temp control, so they turned out brown and dry. It may be time for a new one. Glad to hear everything sold well for you. Have a great weekend.

Laurie said...

Krstina,
Glad you had a good day at the farmers market, despite the heat and humidity. Sounds as if your weather there is just about the same as ours here in New York- STICKY!!
Good Luck with the pepper jelly!
Hugs,
Laurie

caprejan said...

Ive made a similar chutney and added some hot curry powder (to your taste also have made some that wasnt hot enough but added a whole chili pepper or two in each jar, looked and tasted good.
Can I also ask what you do with your cauliflower ive found it goes soggy when its frozen?