Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Tidbits ~ Steep or Infusion?



Last night we had a beautiful sunset.  They sky was filled with pink hues.  Just gorgeous.

My boxes of homemade items
(leftover from market days), came in handy last night.  Our 15 year-old had a birthday party to go to, and needed a last minute gift.  She gifted her two necklaces - one felt/embroidered bottle cap necklace and one granny round crocheted necklace.  Both were enjoyed by the recipient.

Hubby got the truck home.  Now it just needs repaired.  Speaking of repairs, I need to pull out my totes of scrap fabric from the garage.  I have a pair of jeans that need patched.

I have restocked my vinegar, so the cleaning and organizing continues.  Although today is Sunday, so I'll be taking it easy today.  I need to iron the embroidered kitchen towels I made for our oldest daughter's birthday too.  

My netting is still hovering over the to-do list.  I hope to tackle that sooner than later.  There are only 20 days left of this month, so time is ticking super fast for my goals.  
 


My Herbal Journey - Tea Infusions

I've been drinking a loose leaf tea mixture (for high calcium) for a month or so now, but my fingernails are not showing any benefits.  Although my body may be, I would think my nails would show improvement if it was providing enough nourishment.

Then I read more on tea infusions.  They provide more from the tea than simply steeping it.   It provides a nourishing tea versus a delicious simple cup of herbal tea.  However, I do suggest you know your herbs if you do this.





I dug into my tea and mixed a few, and allowed it to infuse for several hours.  I did not just pick these, I did some research first.



I'll let you know in one to two months if this made any significant difference.  I'm enjoying the tea anyway.  This herbal journey of mine has been fun, and enjoyable, and I have gained much knowlegde (with much more to learn).



There is very little information on how long to infuse this tea, so I dug a bit deeper and located a tea infusion data chart.  I decided to infuse this mixture at least four hours.  I guess some can infuse all night (some teas will be too bitter if infused too long), then strained in the morning.  I'm drinking mine hot, with a spearmint leaf.  I don't add any sweetener to this one, but honey would taste good with it.

I better get this posted.  It sounds like Tiger and Jasper are tearing the front room apart. I need to go see what has gotten them both fired up so early.


"Stress is the trash of modern life — we all generate it but if you don't dispose of it properly, it will pile up and overtake your life." ~Terri Guillemets





12 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I sure wish you lived next door, Kristina. There is so much I could learn from you regarding your tea infusions, natural remedies and herbs in general. One of these days, I am going to sit down and study your past posts on the subject to see if my wee brain can assimilate some of it!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I sure hope this one tea does what I hope it to do. I wish we lived closer too.

Kim said...

Remember that as far as the fingernails go you will not notice a difference until the nail has completely grown out. From the cuticle to past the end of your finger.

Sam I Am...... said...

Your "gift stash" reminds me I need to add to mine. it is nice to have things ready for unexpected occasions.
I hope your herbal infusion works. I have very strong nails yet I have osteoporosis...go figure.

My Garden Diaries said...

Such a great quote! I think it is wonderful that your daughter was able to gift those necklaces!!! And I can't wait to hear about how your tea turns out!!! Wishing you an amazing week friend! Nicole

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Kim, my nails don't grow hardly at all, are brittle, and peel at the tip. I'll be watching that as I drink the tea.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, I am told that this tea helps that too, so if my nails grow and get stronger, I'll be teaching my Mom how to make it (as long as it is approved by her doctor).

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Nicole, I really hope the tea works. Then my family won't think I am cracked in the head.

Susan said...

I think the idea of an infusion makes sense, as it allows for more of the 'good' stuff to leach into the water. I also think that research would be vital, as some of the herbs would be very bitter if left too long! I do so admire your inquisitive nature and perseverance. You are like a human short cut for the rest of us! (And I mean that in the very nicest way...)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I am afraid to let the tea sit too long too. I read up to 12 hours, but it tastes great with 4, so I may try about 8 hours to see if that makes it bitter or not. Glad you enjoy my blog and experiences too.

RB said...

Aren't our nails protein, like hair?

I fully understand what's meant by "It sounds like Tiger and Jasper are tearing the front room apart." Some nights it sounds like our two girls, Leona and Sadie, are moving furniture about. I'll come out to see "What the heck???" and they'll be sitting all innocent in the middle of the living room with looks like it was some other "cats" doing it. I've had to put boxes on the kitchen chairs to keep the cats from tipping them all the way over during the night with a HUGE, house-shaking crash; the boxes are just enough to keep the chairs from toppling all the way over and allow them to rock back onto all four of their feet as the box hits the underside of the table. Ahhh, The Joy of Cats. LOL

God bless.

RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I'm told the tea infusion will help brittle nails grow and help nourish them, and it is helpful for osteoporosis. So if my nails show improvement, then I will know it will work for Mom too. Thanks for the cat story too. Yes, they can be so funny.