Skip to main content

New Foods ~ Tidbits

(organic tofu soaking in organic vegetable broth)

Over the years, I've kept track of new foods we've tried.  It looks like the only thing I journaled for 2014, was millet.  I'm sure there were a few other new foods.
Our vegetarian daughter, asked for us to buy tofu for her.  I've never tried it, so we bought organic tofu when it went on sale.

She used a recipe online, and I was surprised how well it tasted.  She made a dipping sauce for it using organic safflower mayo, and home canned relish.    

I did, however, tell her to research soy, and the amounts to consume at a healthy level.  I thought I had read somewhere that too much is not good for the female body.  I hope she does her homework on it.  

As for the "tidbits" in today's blogpost?

What does it mean when you are carrying heavy buckets of water, trying to skate your way to the animals, and you suddenly write a poem in your head?

"Goin' to the barn
Ain't so much fun.
Especially when you slip and fall
And land on your bum.

I have a cut on my finger
And a blister on my hand
However the wood is all restocked
So now I can barely stand."

Crazy I say, just crazy.  Hubby got a good laugh.  I might even pursue this poem later, ha ha!  It may have some potential.  And yes I used the work "ain't.  Why not?  I was already losing it.

 


Comments

EMMA said…
hehe - great poem.
I have read also about too much soya - something to do with hormones i think but not sure how much is too much.
I've decided to give up meat for lent and am looking for new vegetarian recipes (for one - Rich and the kids don't want to join me), does your daughter have any tried and tested favourites?
Mama Pea said…
I say kudos to you, dear Kristina, for keeping your positive, up attitude when things are hard . . . such as risking life and limb while slip-sliding to the barn! And I thinking using "ain't" was totally appropriate in your little jingle. It could be made into the mantra all of us making it through the winter season chant to stay sane!

P.S. We've cut all soy products (except for organic fermented soy sauce) from our diet because of research done on it. I know some vegetarians lean heavily on it, but I don't believe it's good for any of us.
Susan said…
Sometimes, when it's cold and you're negotiating ice with both hands full, the only thing you CAN do is compose a poem! I love it!
Emma, she loves Lentil Casserole. When I make tuna and noodle, I leave some out before I add my tuna, and give it to her with peas in it.
Mama Pea, glad to offer you a chuckle today, ha ha. And thanks for the insight on soy. I will pass that along to her too.
Susan, I had Hubby laughing at my poem last night. He thought I lost it, ha ha!
RB said…
Not much of a tofu fan. Tried some once long ago prepared in some scrambled eggs by an Japanese friend so I'm guessing it was done correctly. Reminded me of tasteless chewing gum. That sure is rich tasty looking vegie broth though. Yum!!!

The poem is cute. Funny how things pop into our minds now and then.

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, I'm not a big fan of tofu either.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart