Skip to main content

Crocheted Scrap Yarn Rug

When I said I would make the next yarn rug with all my leftover scraps, I really meant it.  I dug through all my totes and used up what I had.  If it didn't have enough yarn on the ball to go across one time, it was rolled up and put into a bag with even smaller scraps of yarn (to use for other projects).




I even used two strands of variegated this time (vs. one solid and one variegated color).  It really is an "anything goes" rug.

Over the years I have crocheted dozens and dozens of crocheted and knitted dishcloths, and many sets of pot holders.  The leftovers simply were put in bags for a future project.  To be honest, I am glad I kept them all.  



The final rug.....ta da!

Hubby told me it's a bit "hippy" and wanted it displayed on the quilt rack (vs. actually using it).  This got rave reviews with the kids, and now one kiddo wants one.  These are heavy duty, but will slip around on smooth surfaces.  I may need to put a piece of non-slip rug gripper under this one.   

Update:  I found a possible store to sell these at.  I am researching what I need (tax I.D., etc) to do it, and of course, I need many rugs made to do it.





Comments

Jacque said…
I love your rug. I crochet rag rugs. Some I've made from yarn, some from strips torn from old flannel sheets and some from strips of denim. I always cut a piece on non-slip rug backing to put under mine.
Thanks Jacque. I have several rugs I have crocheted from old sheets, and even one crocheted from old jeans.
Mama Pea said…
What better project this time of year than something as colorful as your latest rug! It's so cheerful and I absolutely love it. Rugs and quilts hung on the walls provide good insulation . . . something we could both use right now!!
Thanks Mama Pea, I love this one too. It did get a bit heavy while crocheting it, but it kept me nice and warm while making it.
Sam I Am...... said…
What a gorgeous rug! I need rugs too and what a great use for the yarn. An alternative to rug grippers is that plastic shelf liner they have now with the waffle texture. If you have any of that it works...in fact it may be one and the same. It really turned out nice! I love the fact that you use what you've got on hand.
Susan said…
It's beautiful! Do you crochet it with two strands of yarn? I have tons of cotton yarn and would love to give this a go - of course, I've never crocheted, but that won't stop me. It seems like a fairly straight-forward stitch. Your color blends are just wonderful!
Sam I am, thank you for that tip. That's a great idea.
Susan, I used two strands of 100% cotton yarn together, and a K hook. I used the single crochet stitch, which is a very easy stitch to learn. I had many ends to sew in, but I think it turned so nice. As far as width, I measured an old rug and just went by that.
Kim said…
i love your rug. I have also crochet many rag rugs through the years. Last year I found a loom to do twining on and I am preparing to get it going soon.
Thanks Kim! When the kids all move out, I'll have a room for more fun crafting experiences.
Sandra said…
I am learning to crotchet.
Very cool rug!! Good luck with your business venture :)
Sandra, you'll love crocheting. I'm hoping to increase my knitting skills over the next year or so.
RB said…
I really like this!!! It's exactly how many rugs of different sizes and shapes was made in the old days - sometimes crocheted, sometimes knitted, sometimes woven. Sometimes they even had strips of rags from old clothes tossed in there and were called rag rugs. About the only thing one had to worry about was mixing the various fabrics, to be sure they all had the same washing instructions, so they'd all stay the same size and shape when washed.
And think how easily you could coordinate a room by using the same colors (and even materials) for the rugs that you'd used for a coverlet or quilt, curtains or drapes.

Good luck with this Kristina!!!

God bless.

RB
<><
Thanks RB. I've already started a new one.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart