Skip to main content

What my kids do to me ~ Sunset and other Tidbits


The other day my younger three girls were raving about muffins I made last year.   I had been discussing making pumpkin pancakes or waffles, so the topic of pumpkin was wafting through their busy brains.

"They were HUGE!"

"They were so good!"

"They were really moist and big!"


(sigh) They enjoyed watching me flip through pages of non-filed recipes, through well used cookbooks, and finally my trusty recipe box that is so full getting recipes in or out is a challenge.

"Look at Mom!" they laughed. 

Oh, they think they are so funny.  Ha.



I think I found it.  It is an allrecipes recipe(Whole Wheat Pumpkin-Applesauce Muffins), but I did not add the white sugar and added extra pumpkin.  I used canned pumpkin, because it needed used before my newly frozen puree needed used.  I will try this again with my own pumpkin puree to see how well it works.

I used homemade, canned applesauce to make them.

My kitchen smelled so wonderful.  It reminded of me all the Thanksgiving baking we typically do, and the wonderful aromas that come from that too.

I think my kids do this to me on purpose.
  


I don't like the pumpkin pie spice I made from allrecipes (the one marked as "II"). So, I've ordered a book from the library to search out a better homemade pumpkin pie spice.  My jar from last year is about empty anyway.

 Here are a few photos of last night's sunset:



In case you are still reading this, and you saw my list of to-do's yesterday.....the list is not completed.  Not even close to finished.   I hope the weather warms up in the next few days as well, as we have more outdoor work to complete too.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Well, you can't do everything, m'dear. And filling your kids' special huge, moist and big pumpkin muffin recipe was worth it!! (Besides, I'm sure you did do your typical 1,002 other things during the day anyway.)
Mama Pea, you did make me laugh. I did end up doing other things, and I do need to clean the coop today. I did not get that job done.
well... the weather keeps me from doing lots of things too.
I hope the muffins fulfilled every body's wishes!
You run circles around me so even if you got 1/3 or half your list done...it was probably more than I did.;)
Patricia, I think I like camping so much because it gets me away from all the interruptions here, ha ha! I often get side-tracked.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart