Skip to main content

Weekend Tidbits ~ Do I hear Jingle Bells?

The weekend did warm up, and it was enough to let the fire go out.  Although we woke up to sunshine and no rain Sunday morning, I was fighting a migraine.

Around 5:00am Sunday morning, I took ibuprofen, and let a dog out.  The ibuprofen took the edge off, but laying there, I knew it was a migraine.  Then a bit after 8:00am, I asked Hubby to go search for my migraine medication.  It had expired.  It had been that long since I had one.


Without the stronger medication, I remember reading that Holy Basil tea helps relieve migraines.  Immediately, I asked Hubby to brew me a cup.  It did help too.  I'm not sure what caused it.




Sunday was a much nicer day here too.  We were delighted to have found a new home for Ava and Bonnie.  The two doelings went to a good home.  We shared our recipes and patted the goats on the head, and wished the family well.  



Hubby was not into the "put up the light" mode, so he drove to town for supplies, while I enlisted my 18 year-old daughter in the job. 



We cut back on the amount of outdoor lights this year too. 



We puttered around and put up a few indoor decorations. "Simple" is our motto this year.  The electric bill should be lower too.


Another good note - Son received an invitation to go work for a comic book company when he has completed his service for the Marines.  This was such good news.  The entire family is excited for him.  I guess I need to send off a shipment of art supplies so he can keep up on his brilliant work.

Comments

Unknown said…
I get migrains too sometimes (with the flashy lights). I found acupressure works really fast. 10-15 minutes, all gone. There's lots of free resources online... Too early for christmas stuff here, as I LOVE Thanksgiving, almost more...
Nancy, the only reason the lights went up early, is due to weather. We got a break, so I took it. Otherwise, later we might not.
Liz said…
Congrats to your son! We were hoping to do lights outside today, but winter showed up in force.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart