Skip to main content

Random Tidbits ~ The Hawk and the Hamster


Hubby was out putting the new mower belt on the mower, but was back inside just as quick.  It did not fit.  Back to the store for another one, but today the rain has arrived. 



Youngest carved a pumpkin for the front porch.  Timmy was very curious and was in her lap at one point.

My chickens were pretty happy yesterday.  They got a few last tomatoes from some plants yet to get pulled.  They were following me around while I pulled cucumber plants and squash plants.  There are still more plants to pull yet, but today I'll be inside.

In fact, according to the weather, we are to get rain for four days straight, and some heavy at times.  




 (in progress)

I've got a few projects going on.  One that is necessary. I hope to have time to finish this one by next week.


I'll most likely be busy in my kitchen today, along with other housework.   I joked to Hubby this morning, saying it was time to "make the donuts."  Remember that commercial?  I kind of felt like that today.  Both of actually.  Hubby especially.  He was dragging his feet for sure.  He worked 2nd shift, and was back up to work 1st today.   He forgot his lunch too.

Oh, by the way, the corn relish is delicious on baked cod.  We had it recently.  I simply baked the cod with olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, garlic, and salt and pepper.  Then we topped it with some homemade corn relish.  Very good.  Youngest mixed some in with her mashed potatoes/garlic and chives too.

With everyone changing their home decor to fall, I finally took down the front door wreath, and swapped it for my apple wreath.  I've had it for several years, and it still looks good.  

 
The Hawk and the Hamster

I laughed as I excitedly ran to the living room, and asked who wanted to see my cupcake, and watched my 15 year-old turn so quickly (before the other kids).  She is the "hawk" in the family.

If there is any food laying around, she'll be sure to spy it and zoom in.  Especially chips. Hence the "hawk."

Hubby is the "hamster."  If he hears anyone opening a package, the crinkling of a bag of chips, or whatnot, he'll be the first to say "whatcha got?"  


 Here is the Cupcake - an ornament, and obviously not real, ha ha!   I did not have the darker brown yarn, but it turned out pretty cute.  The free pattern is online with Red Heart yarn.  These are larger than I thought, but cute.

Comments

Susan said…
That ornament is adorable! I have a Hawk and a Hamster in my house, but they are both cats... :) I am looking forward to some rain so that I have an excuse not to go outside and work!
Susan, I printed the pattern a few years ago, and just got around to giving it a whirl. This rain is putting me in a baking mood. Whoever has dish night tonight won't like me very much, ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart