Skip to main content

Laundry Soap ~ Stitched Cards

A few asked how I make my laundry detergent.  I simply grate a bar of unscented homemade goat's milk soap (you can use a bar of Zote as well), add 8 cups of water, and heat until melted.  I then add 1 1/2 cups borax and 1 1/2 cups washing soda, and continue to heat and stir until dissolved. . .


In a 5 gallon bucket, I pour in about 8 cups of hot water first, then pour in the heated mixture.  Stir until combined.  Then I continue to add hot water until my bucket is about 2 inches from being completely full.  Stir, and cool 24 hours.

When I am ready to use it, I open my bucket lid, and use a whisk to stir it.  I simply bought a dollar store whisk, and keep it in a recycled coffee can next to my bucket of laundry soap.  Then I measure about 1/4 cup for my front loading washer (it uses less than a standard washer).  

There are many other recipes for liquid and dry (homemade) laundry detergent, so this is not limited.  I tried a few until I found one I liked.  I don't like to use a powdered mix due to us using a well for our water).

This helps eliminate all the carcinogens in regular manufactured laundry detergent (and allergens).

I also make my own dishwasher detergent.  I mix 1 cup of borax and one cup of washing soda.  I mix this in an old food processor to break down all the hard clumps.  I store it in a recycled container under my sink.  I put 2 tsp. of the dry mixture in my dishwasher, and pour about 1 cup of white vinegar into the inside (bottom portion) of the dishwasher.




I finally got a tutorial written up on how I make the stitched note cards.  You can read it over at my S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot


 Enjoy your day today!

Comments

Mama Pea said…
I appreciate getting your laundry soap recipe. The camping pics were fun to see. (You look like you're about 16 years old!)
Ha ha! Mama Pea, I'm far from 16, ha ha!
Susan said…
Wonderful photos! I would love to see your stitched notecard tutorial, but the link didn't work...
I will double check the link for you and fix it.
Okay, I fixed the link to the cards. Let me know if it still does not work for you. Sorry about that.
Michelle said…
I love homemade soap. We have been making our own for 3 years now. Not only is it cheaper. It works so much better then the stuff in the stores.
Sam I Am...... said…
What a cutie you are! I agree with your other commenter...you look about 16!
Thank you for the "liquid" laundry detergent recipe. I've made my own for years but powdered. Also, I needed a dishwasher detergent recipe and I LOVE the stitched cards. They are so cute!
Youngest is the one who braided my hair. It's actually french braided too.

Popular posts from this blog

Question

  I have asked this before, but I know I follow a few writers who have written (and published) novels.  What is the best free or best least expensive (simple like Word) writing software to use that is not Google Docs? Thanks! I'll be back with an update soon I hope.  But I do appreciate your help, because I cannot find the information some of you suggested.

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart