Skip to main content

More Cookin' from Storage


I pulled a bag of frozen blueberries yesterday, and baked the family a buttermilk-blueberry coffee cake.  Yum.  To top it off, I surprised them with a 4 lb. meatloaf (Hubby's favorite, and I don't make it that often) that was made with organic beef, and veggies.  I also made garlic mashed potatoes, and green beans.  I really miss my own potatoes.  I bought a bag (they now sell organic potatoes here), and about 3-4 of them were rotten only two days after buying them.   

Blueberry Buttermilk Coffeecake Recipe:

 I added cinnamon and nutmeg to the topping.
 



Today, we will have a pasta salad, using light safflower mayo (high in vitamin E) and my home canned relish.  The family loves it.  It's a nice side for meals and to add to leftover meals.

Sweet pickle relish (or zucchini relish) can be added to deviled eggs, soups, salads and dressings, and even in meatloaf or meatballs.   It's also great in tuna and chicken salad sandwiches.


One way we are adding more fish to our diet, is this salad.  It's full of romaine, shredded carrots, celery and slices of green pepper.  Then we top it with apples, dried cranberries, pecans, and tuna, and finish it with a pomegranate dressing.  This is really good with diced chicken too.  



Then, there is no better way to end the day, but with a steaming cup of herbal tea.

Comments

Carolyn said…
On these cold mornings, I like to begin and end the day with a hot cupp'a herbal tea.

That coffee cake looks delicious :)
EMMA said…
Yum that all looks so delicious.
Candy C. said…
The coffee cake AND the salad both look delicious!! :)
Michelle said…
We pick about 100 pounds of potatoes from my father-in-law field last Oct. We keep them in the garage in a burlap bag. They are still good. Which makes me wonder how old your potatoes were or if they let them get hot and moisture got in. Your cake look good . Will you be sharing the recipe?
Mama Pea said…
Great looking salad for this time of year!

I made a blueberry cobbler last night after dinner . . . and hubby and I knocked off the last of it as dessert after our dinner tonight. (We did have a little help today on eating it all!)
Liz said…
Yum meatloaf!!!
The recipe is from allrecipes, I'll post a link above.
Sam I Am...... said…
I love meatloaf but don't have it very often either. i think i might have a couple pounds left of organic ground beef in the freezer so Sunday meatloaf sounds great!
The coffee cake looks delicious. I haven't made a coffee cake in years. I used to make a great sour cream one in a bundt pan with the cinnamon sugar topping, I think. I'll have to see if I can find that recipe. Thanks for the fresh ideas for meals!
Janice said…
Just wanted you to know that I made the coffeecake several days ago and we're still eating it up. It was very good, light, and fluffy. After looking through some of the comments I decided to add lemon extract instead of vanilla and we really liked it that way. Thanks for recommending the recipe!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart