Skip to main content

Are you getting what you paid for?


Back in the spring, I ordered meat chickens.  I specifically ordered pullets.  One particular chick was picked on by the rest, and we brought her back inside with the layer chicks.  They layer chicks mothered her, and she slowly recovered.

We decided to keep her for a layer, as this breed was a dual breed of chicken.  We thought we could use the extra eggs.




Well, guess what?  She is a he.  Yep.  We have all heard him crow, and in the photo you can see he is guiding the ladies to food (and using that distinctive sound they make to do it).  We paid the higher price for pullets, but got a rooster.  I'm wondering if the other chicks we butchered were roosters too.  

It makes me wonder how many folks are not getting what they paid for.  I'm thinkin' it's stew time. 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
I know it is really hard to sex chicks so maybe this guy just slipped by the "sorters" unintentionally. At least, we can all hope this is what happens now and then . . . and that "unwanted" male chicks aren't being pawned off as pullet meat birds. (Gulp.)
Hilarious!
We like our rooster. The thing is...we got guineas this year and they DON'T LIKE our rooster AND... he cowers down.
I seriously, we thinking stew the other day.
But the Honey said No.
He's parial to George. I guess when I think about it...who can eat a bird, named George,right?
Pat
RB said…
What a tricky little feller to slip by the sorters like that!

Heck, I'd let him live, if for no other reason than he has dumb luck. Also roosters are GREAT intruder alarms for the hen house you know.

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart