Skip to main content

A Barn Discovery

Our largest barn is set for destruction next year.    We have used this barn, and even updated parts on it over the last 5 years, but it's too much for us to invest in.  The loft has caved in from one of the storms as well.   The roof, on both sides, have been ripped off over the years from storms as well. If we had the money, we would save it, but we can't.

However, we are using parts of it to repair the other two barns.  Yesterday, I was walking Alias, and looked up at the barn.  For some odd reason, I discovered something I had never seen before.  It made me smile.


 Do you see anything yet?  Look to the upper right of the window.

Ha ha!  Now to you see it?  This made me laugh.  There are four license plates, from 1971, used to patch the barn.  When the barn comes down, I want to recycle those plates one more time.  Even after being used on this barn for 42 years.  I don't have a ladder tall enough to reach them either.  Phooey.  Anyway, I thought it was neat discovery.

Oh, and one araucana laid an egg the other day.  Yay!  Egg production is back on track.   

Just a note: we did put this barn up on craigslist for the free wood, and we got one response, who never got back with us.  I even contacted two places that take barn wood, and they too, did not want it.  Everyone else wanted us to pay them to take it.  We simply wanted someone to use the wood too, but it's not as easy as you think.  Not in our area anyway.

Notice: Would the person who inquired about the barn, via Google, please contact me via the email address provided under "About Me" on this blog?

Comments

Carolyn said…
Very cool find!
Our hens have finally stopped their egg strike and we're getting two or three a day.
Old time farmers were so resourceful...weren't they?
We have an old barn like that. But truth be told... it probably needs to come down.
I bet there are things in there that I've not ever seen in almost 18 years of living here.
Pat
Anonymous said…
We've used them to patch the chicken coops. :)
Unknown said…
Good for you on your weight loss!
EMMA said…
How wonderful that barn must have looked when it was originally built.
Candy C. said…
That is pretty neat! It's amazing what we "don't" see every day. :)
Too bad about nobody wanting the wood.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart