Skip to main content

From the Homesteading Journal . . .


(all the old roofing loaded up by my son and Hubby's brother-in-law)

. . . it took two days, but the leftover roofing was removed, and half of the new roofing was put on. Hubby miscalculated on his measurements and we need to do an exchange for longer roofing. 


. . .we were blessed with enough cucumbers for me to can 7 more pints of bread and butter pickles. I purchased another bushel of corn and stocked that up in the freezer.  I also purchased 5 lbs. of beets, and added 1 pound from our own garden, and canned one batch of spiced beets.  And I purchased local peaches and canned 15 - 1/2 pints of peach jam. And that's not all.  I purchased 36 hot banana peppers and canned 4 quarts of Hot Pepper Mustard Sauce. I also canned 5 - 1/2 pints of Ruby-Red Grapefruit Jelly (another new recipe I wanted to try).


Pepper Mustard Sauce
36 banana peppers, ground (hot or mild)
6 c. sugar
1 qt. mustard
1 qt. white vinegar
Bring to a boil.

Mix together:  
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/4 c. water
1 Tbsp. salt

Add flour mixture to pepper mixture using a wire whisk while still boiling.  Boil for 5 minutes, stirring often.  Place in hot quart jars and process 5 minutes. Makes 4 quarts or 8 pints.

Note:  updated 8/18/16 - I weighed my banana peppers this time around, and 36 weighed just about 2 1/2 pounds.  



. . . the last red hen died this week.  She was the last one of the group we started with, and for some reason, they were egg bound often.  So far, we're having good health from the other barred rocks and araucanas.



. . .have been working on more stitched cards for the last Farmer's Market in September.  Our sales are down by 50% this year from last.



. . . planted Nasturtiums around the squash this year, and have only seen about two squash bugs (even though the rain prevented us from bounty, the plants are still there half alive).  I will plant these flowers again next year, just to make sure it's not a fluke, and that they really do keep the bugs away. 

Note: Due to the high amount of blog theft going on (feed scrapers), I have started to put in a page break, followed by "Read more."  They only difference for you as a follower, is you will need to click on it to read the entire post.  Sorry for any inconvenience.








Comments

Unknown said…
Busy, busy! I thought of you when I just saw (and did a post) about free amazon kindle chicken books (free kindle app for pcs). I searched for "free homesteading" under kindle and found this-
Letters of a Woman Homesteader

You might like it, from early in the 1900's....

I think I have that book, and have just not read it yet. I better go look in my books and see.
Winnie said…
All of your canning looks so beautiful all lined up! It feels so good to see delicious family favorites put up for the winter and know they will be there when you need them most!
EMMA said…
Gosh you have been busy. All those jars look so lovely.
EMMA said…
Me again! just popped over to Amazon to pick up Letters of a Woman Homesteader, sounds like a great book.
Unknown said…
Oh well, there's more free stuff! I don't have a tablet, but there's a free reading app for you PC if you find some other stuff you like- like the free chicken books!
Candy C. said…
Love all those jars of canned goods, they are beautiful! It looks like the new roofing is coming right along. I will be curious too see if the nasturtiums work again next year.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart