Skip to main content

From the Homesteading Journal . . .

"Snow!? Are you kidding me?!"

That was first thing out of my mouth this morning.

It's a small layer is here and there, but seriously.  It's April 20th!  Look at all that green from our recent rain too.

. . .  obtained my fishing license for this summer (Hubby too).

. . . one of our last two red hens pass away. For some reason all of our red hens consistently became egg bound and died. This is why we chose to invest in barred rocks this year.  We lost one to the great horned owl, but they seem to be larger and don't get egg bound or sick as much. 

. . . made another batch of goat's milk ricotta cheese.  I plan to make ricotta pancakes, stuffed shells and even cookies.  

Here is the link to the recipe we use:  How to Make Ricotta Cheese with Goat's Milk, Mother Earth News

. . . added meat grinder and pressure canner to the homesteading wish list.  I was iffy on buying either one, but I can see the use for them.  We can grind the chicken we raise for meat, and eventually beef.

Comments

Sandra said…
We woke up to snow too! Crazy!

Do you have your ricotta cheese recipe posted?
We will be milking goats soon and usually have more milk than I know what to do with.
Thanks
Unknown said…
I got a nice little meat grinder at a yard sale. A lot more $$$ for pressure canners though. I wish I had a different range to can on, can't use one on glass...
EMMA said…
Woke up to 35 cm of fresh snow this morning!!
I bought a meat grinder last year, the old fashioned kind that you have to screw on to the end of the table and turn by hand! Works well but is a nightmare to clean, so it's worth grinding a lot of meat and freezing it in batches. Have seen some snazzy electric ones but they are sooo expensive.
I'll post the link to the cheese recipe - very easy.
Candy C. said…
Snow?!? This spring has been crazy! I bought a pressure canner last year and I'm glad I did. I haven't used it a whole lot yet but it has come in handy.
Willow said…
We hopefully aren't going to get snow but we have been getting frost the past two nights. Spring has been very of here in New England too. Was so cold Saturday night I pulled out old Summer camping photos for my post. Good to remember that warm weather is coming soon lol

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart