Skip to main content

Queen Anne's Lace Jelly

If my kids think I went nutso, by making the Dandelion Coffee, the Dandelion Jelly, and the Milkweed Flower Bud Quiche, they will really think I've fallen off my rocker now.

I have been going through old cookbooks, and reducing my supply.  I found a recipe for Queen Anne's Lace Jelly.  

Instead of cleaning my much needed bathroom, I walked around the property and plucked about 18-19 full heads of Queen Anne's Lace (not to be confused with Hemlock).

I soaked them in water to remove unwanted "guests" and then rinsed them twice.


I steeped them and strained them, and created this lovely colored (cheated with a drop of red food coloring) jelly.  

These need to cool for 24 hours before we can check them.  If this did not set, I will simply re-boil them with more pectin, and re-seal the jars.  This is really a pink-ish color, but the photo makes it look a bit orange.

Queen Anne's Lace Jelly
(makes 5-8oz.jars)
4 cups water
18 large Queen Anne's Lace Flower Heads
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 pkg. powdered pectin
3 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
Red Food Coloring (optional)
Bring the water to a boil and remove from the heat.  Add the flower heads, pushing them down into the water; cover and steep for 30 minutes.  Remove the lid and let the mixture cool slightly, about 15 minutes.  

Measure out 3 cups of the liquid into a 4-6 quart pan.  Add the lemon juice and the pectin and bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.  Add the sugar, stirring constantly, and cook until the mixture returns to a rolling boil.  

Boil 1 minute longer.

Remove from heat.  Add red food coloring if desired.  Skim off any foam  Pour into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch space at the top.  With a damp cloth, remove any spills from the rims and threads of the jars.  Process in a hot water bath for 5 minutes, counting the time after the water has returned to a rolling boil.  Remove to a towel-lined rack.  Store in a cool place.
(From Maria Adams' Heirloom Recipes, Putting Things By, page 203)

Note:  pregnant and nursing woman should not consume this jelly.

Comments

Bren said…
i love this idea!!! let us know if it tastes yummy
Unknown said…
Pretty! What does it taste like? I have grown these before...
belichtig said…
A friend at work who knows I like to make things with edible flower told me about QAL jelly & I'm looking forward to making it over the weekend. Have you tried Rose Geranium jelly? I'll be making that too!
belichtig said…
Ok, I made them and both are delightful. The QAL jelly is light & fruity, the Rose Geranium was stronger and both are very yummy!
SPH said…
This looks AMAZING! Can't wait to try it!

I am delighted to present you with a Liebster Blog award! You can read all about it on my blog on April 24th!

Ann @ Suburban Prairie Homemaker
www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart