Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Queen Anne's Lace Jelly

If my kids think I went nutso, by making the Dandelion Coffee, the Dandelion Jelly, and the Milkweed Flower Bud Quiche, they will really think I've fallen off my rocker now.

I have been going through old cookbooks, and reducing my supply.  I found a recipe for Queen Anne's Lace Jelly.  

Instead of cleaning my much needed bathroom, I walked around the property and plucked about 18-19 full heads of Queen Anne's Lace (not to be confused with Hemlock).

I soaked them in water to remove unwanted "guests" and then rinsed them twice.


I steeped them and strained them, and created this lovely colored (cheated with a drop of red food coloring) jelly.  

These need to cool for 24 hours before we can check them.  If this did not set, I will simply re-boil them with more pectin, and re-seal the jars.  This is really a pink-ish color, but the photo makes it look a bit orange.

Queen Anne's Lace Jelly
(makes 5-8oz.jars)
4 cups water
18 large Queen Anne's Lace Flower Heads
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 pkg. powdered pectin
3 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
Red Food Coloring (optional)
Bring the water to a boil and remove from the heat.  Add the flower heads, pushing them down into the water; cover and steep for 30 minutes.  Remove the lid and let the mixture cool slightly, about 15 minutes.  

Measure out 3 cups of the liquid into a 4-6 quart pan.  Add the lemon juice and the pectin and bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.  Add the sugar, stirring constantly, and cook until the mixture returns to a rolling boil.  

Boil 1 minute longer.

Remove from heat.  Add red food coloring if desired.  Skim off any foam  Pour into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch space at the top.  With a damp cloth, remove any spills from the rims and threads of the jars.  Process in a hot water bath for 5 minutes, counting the time after the water has returned to a rolling boil.  Remove to a towel-lined rack.  Store in a cool place.
(From Maria Adams' Heirloom Recipes, Putting Things By, page 203)

Note:  pregnant and nursing woman should not consume this jelly.

5 comments:

Bren said...

i love this idea!!! let us know if it tastes yummy

Unknown said...

Pretty! What does it taste like? I have grown these before...

belichtig said...

A friend at work who knows I like to make things with edible flower told me about QAL jelly & I'm looking forward to making it over the weekend. Have you tried Rose Geranium jelly? I'll be making that too!

belichtig said...

Ok, I made them and both are delightful. The QAL jelly is light & fruity, the Rose Geranium was stronger and both are very yummy!

SPH said...

This looks AMAZING! Can't wait to try it!

I am delighted to present you with a Liebster Blog award! You can read all about it on my blog on April 24th!

Ann @ Suburban Prairie Homemaker
www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com