One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Queen Anne's Lace Jelly

If my kids think I went nutso, by making the Dandelion Coffee, the Dandelion Jelly, and the Milkweed Flower Bud Quiche, they will really think I've fallen off my rocker now.

I have been going through old cookbooks, and reducing my supply.  I found a recipe for Queen Anne's Lace Jelly.  

Instead of cleaning my much needed bathroom, I walked around the property and plucked about 18-19 full heads of Queen Anne's Lace (not to be confused with Hemlock).

I soaked them in water to remove unwanted "guests" and then rinsed them twice.


I steeped them and strained them, and created this lovely colored (cheated with a drop of red food coloring) jelly.  

These need to cool for 24 hours before we can check them.  If this did not set, I will simply re-boil them with more pectin, and re-seal the jars.  This is really a pink-ish color, but the photo makes it look a bit orange.

Queen Anne's Lace Jelly
(makes 5-8oz.jars)
4 cups water
18 large Queen Anne's Lace Flower Heads
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 pkg. powdered pectin
3 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
Red Food Coloring (optional)
Bring the water to a boil and remove from the heat.  Add the flower heads, pushing them down into the water; cover and steep for 30 minutes.  Remove the lid and let the mixture cool slightly, about 15 minutes.  

Measure out 3 cups of the liquid into a 4-6 quart pan.  Add the lemon juice and the pectin and bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.  Add the sugar, stirring constantly, and cook until the mixture returns to a rolling boil.  

Boil 1 minute longer.

Remove from heat.  Add red food coloring if desired.  Skim off any foam  Pour into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch space at the top.  With a damp cloth, remove any spills from the rims and threads of the jars.  Process in a hot water bath for 5 minutes, counting the time after the water has returned to a rolling boil.  Remove to a towel-lined rack.  Store in a cool place.
(From Maria Adams' Heirloom Recipes, Putting Things By, page 203)

Note:  pregnant and nursing woman should not consume this jelly.

5 comments:

Bren said...

i love this idea!!! let us know if it tastes yummy

nancypo said...

Pretty! What does it taste like? I have grown these before...

belichtig said...

A friend at work who knows I like to make things with edible flower told me about QAL jelly & I'm looking forward to making it over the weekend. Have you tried Rose Geranium jelly? I'll be making that too!

belichtig said...

Ok, I made them and both are delightful. The QAL jelly is light & fruity, the Rose Geranium was stronger and both are very yummy!

Suburban Prairie Homemaker said...

This looks AMAZING! Can't wait to try it!

I am delighted to present you with a Liebster Blog award! You can read all about it on my blog on April 24th!

Ann @ Suburban Prairie Homemaker
www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com