Skip to main content

Mushrooms and A Curious Cat

I have walked around the property (some of it) and found two different types of mushrooms growing.  One was growing on a fallen tree.


I noticed this growing earlier in the summer and the colors were much different than now.  Do any of you know the type of mushroom and if it is edible or poisonous?  Then I will know for next year.  With the colors missing, and it looking half dead, I can't identify it.

I found this little guy growing not far from my clothesline trees.  Any ideas what it could be?  Green spored Lepiota?  It is growing in the grass.  Poisonous?  I really do need to learn my mushrooms. 

As for the curious cat part.  I have to share with you about our pets first.  And my funny family.  Each dog and cat has come to my bedroom, where my rag rug is now.  It's very soft to walk on and is in front of our bedroom dresser.  The dogs and cats have each rubbed their scent on it, claiming the rug for themselves.  Each person in the house has come in to walk across it in their socks. I'll be sitting in bed before bedtime, crocheting, and someone will walk in to walk across it and walk back out.  Ha ha ha ha!  As for the curious cat. . .

 Who could this lump be, underneath the rug?

It's Jasper!  The cat who thinks my rag rug is his play ground.

Comments

The 3 Foragers said…
If that first mushroom growing on a tree was originally bright orange with a white or bright yellow underside and pores instead of gills, it was a chicken mushroom (Laetiporus slphureus or Laetiporus cincinnatus), both edible and delicious.

The second mushroom is harder. Did it have gills? A ring around the stem? Looks to be a shaggy mane or inkcap. Gilled mushrooms are very hard!
Cute kitty and very nice rag rug! I don't know much about mushrooms but we do have many kinds in our yard this year from all of the rain.
Your kitty cat is adorable! I had a black cat named India for several years and I miss her! She was definitely more prissy than playful-the feline lady of the manor- if you catch my drift!

About mushrooms: most of those mushrooms, I like to call them "magic mushrooms" that pop up in your yard after it rains and seem to grow enormous overnight are not good to eat!
There was a story on our local news recently about a woman who became terribly ill after eating mushrooms she picked in her back yard!
My paternal grandfather came from northern Italy where they use pigs to dig up truffles out of the earth. My grandfather knew there were certain wild mushrooms you can eat and could tell the difference between an edible fungi and a deadly toadstool! Unfortunately, I am clueless when it comes to telling the difference! You might be able to find out about edible mushrooms on line or at your local library.
Candy C. said…
No help with the mushrooms, sorry!
The kitty under the rug reminds me of our cat Bob, he likes to do stuff like that!
Katmom said…
hey Kristina, my kitties do the same thing,,,they lay claim to my in progress rag rugs!
I guess we are getting their seal of approval.
>^..^<

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart