Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, June 29, 2018

Heat Wave Returns ~ Random Tidbits

The heat wave has returned.  It'll be a hot one this weekend.


My broody hen is still in her roost.  She cackles at me every time I go out there.  Like she's telling me not to take her egg. She may be sitting on more than one.  I'll have to gently check.



Our pea harvest will be a piddly dinky one this year.  It was good last year, so I'm not complaining.  Just one of those years.



We've gotten so much rain we are hatching frogs and this tiny guy (size of a dime) tried to hop right into the house.



Despite being a full blown weed year, we are getting blooms.  I'm just gonna tell myself we are growing wild flowers.  I mean the weeds are wild and they have blooms, ha ha!  The thistle in the rose bed is so tall, I can see it when I look out my kitchen window.  

Speaking of weeds, the garlic bed has been freed of weeds.  After 3 days of going out there, it's finally done.  A few didn't come up, and some didn't survive all this rain, but there is still quite a bit.  I'm so glad I planted a lot last fall.

My front room carpet is finally done.   I hope it's dry today, so I can start putting it back together, and making it a living space.  I just have to wash all the windows, curtains and wood work, and then I can move onto the next room.

Have a wonderful weekend, and try and stay cool if you are getting the heat wave too.  

6 comments:

Susan said...

I was thinking the same thing this morning - at least the weeds have flowers (most of them)! We are getting the heat, too, so I'm going to try and make a run at weeding early tomorrow.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, they are saying Saturday will be worse as far as heat, so I may be making other plans, ha ha!

Henny Penny said...

I'm glad our hens have finally stopped setting. Two of them hatched three chicks. This week a snake killed one of the chicks. Made me sick because these chicks were healthy and cute and growing fast. My husband shot the snake. Weeds are taking over here too and now it's too hot to worry about them. :)

mamasmercantile said...

The frog made me smile trying to make its way in. Hope you have a wonderful weekend and enjoy the heat.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Henny Penny, so sorry you lost a chick to a snake. And yes, it's too hot worry about weeds. We just had another heat wave.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, that little cutie tried hopping right into the house.