Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, September 29, 2017

Writing Mojo ~ Garden Goodness ~ Potato Dig #2

My writing mojo kicked in yesterday too.  Before I started any chore-like work, I submitted a short story. It felt pretty awesome to get this mojo back, and not feel guilty for sitting on my bum either.  I'm already looking for more opportunities.  The magazine I used to write for, went out of business.


Due to a busy schedule, and the need for me to drive a kiddo to get wisdom teeth out, I changed plans with the garden. I needed to bring in something that didn't require a lot work after entering the kitchen.

Instead of carrots, I switched over to dig another 10# of red and white potatoes.  I laughed and laughed as I dug those potatoes....singing "in the jungle, the mighty jungle..."

It is that bad out there.  Yikes.  It took much longer than I thought, to fight my way through the weeds to find the potatoes, ha ha!


The Kennebec did much better than the Norland this year, but white potatoes typically grow larger than red anyway.

 Biggest potato yet.  Mmm.

Oh.

The fox is back.  I could hear his call from the back of the pasture.  

I'm on alert, as I had my ladies, and stud muffin Sparta out free ranging yesterday.

As for "Grad" Daughter, she is home recovering and resting with an ice pack and meds.  Hopefully she'll be up to herself in a few days.

4 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Congratulations on getting your writing mo-jo back and submitting a short story. Back breaking work digging up potatoes they certainly look good.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, thanks. It felt pretty good to get both writing and gardening done, but I have many more potatoes to dig yet. I have some time, and the sweet potatoes need more time to grow anyway.

Sam I Am...... said...

So happy about your writing mojo! The potatoes are gorgeous and so fun to dig up...like looking for buried treasure...literally! Enjoy!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, you made me laugh about the potato and buried treasure comment - so true.