Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Second Picking of Tomatoes and other goodies

Woke up to 48°F.  

Break out the carhartts. Brrr!  This is not normal for August.

Hubby worked late last night.  When he got home he advised me about Hurricane Harvey.  I had no idea.   I don't get the news on my TV.   Praying for Texas and any surrounding areas.


My recent garden goodie harvest. 

This is only two rows of the back tomato patch.  I later enlisted the help of a daughter and got all the tomatoes picked (aside from rotten ones and ones the chickens got into).  The grand tally later was 51 lbs.  That didn't include the grape and heirloom pear tomatoes either.  Despite cooler weather and no rain.



 I brought in over 2 lbs. of hot banana peppers - 28 pretty large peppers.  I only need 8 more peppers (or 2 1/2 lbs.) to can hot banana pepper mustard sauce.

I also brought in a little over 2 lbs. of jalapeno peppers.
I just need one more pound to can cowboy candy.  I'm super happy about this. Hubby and I LOVE this stuff.

I brought in 2 habanero peppers also. It all depends on the next picking what I will make with them.  Lots of ideas for this.

I totally forgot to double check the cucumbers and zucchini. That's on today's agenda.

I spent the day canning yesterday, then digging out crochet patterns and canning recipes.  I lost a pattern, then found it.  Lost a recipe, then found it again online.  No surprise there.  Ordered a pattern book again from the library. Some day I'll have it all snip-snap organized.

No sign of Mr. Fox yesterday.  Although I heard gunshots go off up the road.  Again.

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Glad to hear you are getting ripe tomatoes. But Oh Lordy, your morning temps are colder than ours here in MN. I dug out a couple of flannel shirts, but it is way too early to find those long johns, even though it feels like we might need them!!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Vicki, hurricane Harvey may have something to do with the weather changes here too. Yes, we are tickled pick for the tomatoes. Busy week ahead too.

Sam I Am...... said...

Look at all that beautiful produce! I had no luck this year at all....but it just gets so hot here I can barely stand it nor can the plants. My son sent me a banana pepper and it was HOT! I didn't know there were hot ones! My lips burner for 2 hours....I don't know how you and your hubby can stand that heat! Glad someone enjoys it....I had to throw it out.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I can them with sugar to make a heated mustard sauce, and use them in our canned zucchini salsa too. Hubby eats them raw, but he's a hot pepper guy too. Not me. I have to mix it into something else, like a breakfast frittata.