Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Homemade English Muffins ~ Tea

I got a small batch of English muffins made.  I love these for making breakfast sandwiches.  I used the recipe at Edible Existence blogspot.  It requires very little ingredients (1 Tbsp. of honey) compared to the Honey Wheat recipe that King Flour has.



Once my einkorn flour arrives,
I will make them using it to give it a taste test (and baking test). The recipe makes 8 muffins.  It's been a while since I've made them.  We've really cut back on the bread, due to eating scrambles and frittatas (with greens) lately.
 


I get better results when I drink an infusion for a runny nose. I made a tea infusion using mullein.  I had planned to make it the other night, and let it sit all night.  I forgot.  I even had the mullein in the jar with a lid on it. Ha!  Well, it was made, and enjoyed, and I'll have enough for today yet.  Then I'll make a new one.  I like to rotate my herbs.

I am once again loading my car with boxes of items I can live without, don't need anymore, and clothing that is now way too big for me. The cleaning and sorting, and organizing continues (when I can).

6 comments:

Susan said...

I'll be very interested to hear how these turn out with Einkorn flour. Mama Pea and I have been struggling to get a cohesive loaf out of the pure Einkorn flour bread. I miss homemade English muffins - I'll keep my fingers crossed.

RB said...

Well, call me a stick-in-the-mud, but I have eaten buttered English Muffins with whipped cream cheese every morning for breakfast for years. I eat them with a spiced tea I make up of a combination of tea bags - Chai Extra Spice, Constant Comment Orange, Green Tea and 10 cloves that I let sit over night in a large bottle I leave on the counter.
I use to add strawberry preserves to the top of the cream cheese, but I gave that up years ago when I was diagnosed nearing the onset of diabetes.
Though English Muffins aren't too expensive, thanks for that recipe link. I'll look into seeing if I can make some at home, at least during the cold months when the heat of the oven helps heat the home and the aroma of baking wafting through the house is a comfort too.
Praying for everyone's health and well-being out there. Life is short, take time to smell the roses.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, the recipe uses part organic bread flour and part whole wheat, but I think I saw another recipe I can try in a cook book too. I have to flip through them again.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, your combination of tea sounds wonderful. I have been back into baking bread again, but have little time. The family loves these. They are soft, and not chewy or tough to eat (like some store bought toasted muffins), and it only contains 1 Tbsp. of honey.

Sam I Am...... said...

English Muffins have been on "my baking/cooking" list for many moons.....today may be the day! Thank you for the link to the recipe. Yours looks wonderful!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, King flour has many good recipes online too. Yum.